2011 WI Hunting Journal

pgchambers

Re: 2011 WI Hunting Journal

Postby pgchambers » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:19 am

Saturday morning I had a doe and her fans within twelve yards of the tree. No shot fired, but it was a great way to start the season. Saturday night I headed to my brother's, and wouldn't you know, a doe and her fawns. I was tempted, but once again no shot fired. Should have shot the doe when I had the chance, she ended up walking straight to my ladder. She looked up at me, blew once at me, and got out of dodge. It took her about an hour to get her fawns to leave the water I was hunting over, so at least I didn't get bored. A buck walked through after sunset, but it was too dark to tell how good he was. All in all a great first weekend, although I can't believe that buck came through after the doe busted me.
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:08 pm

Congrats RNC and Nubs on harvesting does!!
Scott

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:36 pm

I've had an eventful start to the bow season. Have seen 5 bucks from my stand in a new location. Based on the sightings of all deer, and the travel patterns, I am hopeful this set up will really pay off later in October and into the rut.

My only complaint is that the landowner won't allow me to shoot a doe. I am hunting the CWD zone. I can tag a buck, but then I will have burned up my one statewide bow buck tag, and I have a rut hunt planned at my place up near Hayward. I would love to earn a buck down in the CWD zone so I could potentially shoot two bucks.

I am looking into setting up a stand at a different farm where I can shoot a doe.

In any case, it's going to be a great year in Wisconsin!

Jimbo

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:04 pm

Went out Monday afternoon and sat in a blind on a field edge. Saw 11 does and fawns but no antlers. Most of the deer were feeding on soybeans then went into the corn. They came out from 515 till closing.

Congrats on a great deer, and more importantly, great memories nubs!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:40 pm

Good luck gentlemen, our season opens on the 24th. 'till then..... ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:36 pm

Heading out tomorrow. I've seen a total of 11 deer in 2 outings. Been fine, mostly all does and fawns, but a few bucks mixed in. Nothing huge. Hopefully this colder weather gets them on their feet and moving earlier.
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

wisbooner3932

Postby wisbooner3932 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:54 am

I went out last night and didn't see a thing. I went to a different property than I have been going to which usually doesn't pick up till October. I woke up early this morning and headed to my Grandpa's farm but decided I didn't want to get my gear all wet in the drizzle. Plenty of season left anyway, right?
You can take my gun, from my cold dead hands.

wack

Postby wack » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:31 pm

I was not ready opening day, so I didn't go out until Tuesday. An old high school friend called and I was going to show him all of the public waste land here in Winnebago county. At the last second he backed out, something "came up." So I went by myself, checked the wind, decided I'd check out a small woods next to a swamp that I haven't been too in a few years. I haven't been to this place because it's a bit of walking, and I've got a really bad back. I went in light and slow, wind in my face.

I got to the little woods and see the downed tree I remembered, broke off at about 12' off the ground and at about a 45 degree angle to the ground. An easy climb up, solid place to stand, had a place to sit, and a branch to hang my back pack on, perfect. I wasn't in the tree 5 minutes when I herd a grunt. I knocked an arrow, but expected to see another hunter, this is public that get's hammered by hunters every year. I few minutes later I heard another grunt. If the down tree I climbed is at 6 oclock, this grunt came from 12 oclock, directly behind the other half of this tree that's still standing. I peak around the tree and there stands a big fat roman nosed scraggly looking swamp buck walking from my left to right. I'm a lefty, so I drew my bow and waited for him to appear...I eased around the tree and saw 2 bucks, the old fat one and a smaller one 5 yards behind, the voice in my head said take the smaller one, you're a long ways from your truck, and before I could change my mind the smaller one was dead.

Now I haven't taken a deer with a bow in a couple years, since my back injury. Last gun deer season I hunted opening morning and had my tags filled in an hour. I've been to this woods at least a dozen times, never seen a deer, but I did see signs of deer. I didn't get buck fever, I went straight into kill mode, I'm taking the smaller one and the arrow was on it's way, got both lungs and heart, pass threw, text book 24 yard shot, he struggled to get 30 yards and dropped in sight. Then the big one walks past me over to his little buddy, gave his dead buddy a nudge, hung around for about 5 minutes, then walked off. I got a much better look at the old fat one than the one I shot, the old boy had 4 points on one side and only a brow tine left on the right side. I was hoping the other was a doe, but I saw antlers after the shot, all 4.5 points. He's a 2 year old swamp buck, Tipped the scale field dressed at 148 pounds, and I damn near killed myself getting him out, sure glad I didn't wack that fat one. Neither would make Boone and Crocket, but the little one ranks right up there in my Skillet and Crockpot record book! Yummy! Kind of a bummer my buck tag was filled in 1 hour of hunting, but on public land I'll take what I can get. I don't have too many more deer drags left in me, thinking it maybe time to take up rabbit hunting instead. lol not.
American by birth, hunter by choice.

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:22 pm

Nicely done, And I approve of your choice. The meat will be the sweeter, and more tender, and a deer cart, or a deer sled will do wonders for your back. If you buy a deer cart, remember, the bigger the wheels, the smoother the ride, but the harder to pack in the truck. I built my own deer cart with wheelchair quick release wheels.. and I have used the seer sleds and they work just fine as well. The kid's plastic tobogans work just fine, but they are not as durable as the deer sleighs. Anyhow, CONGRATULATIONS! and just think of all the tender does that are still to be hunted. :)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

windsor

Postby windsor » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:48 am

Congrats on the buck. As I am learning, public land hunting is hard stuff. So far my journal shows Marsh 5 Windsor 0. I can hear em, but cant see em. Not getting discouraged, gunna keep hitting it till I get one.

I did a little modification to the baby's old running stroller and will use that to haul the deer out to the truck. It folds up nicely into the bed of the truck.

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin