Treestand life expectancy

deojee1414

Treestand life expectancy

Postby deojee1414 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:27 am

Anybody have an opinion on how long to expect a treestand to last? I have a climber, about 12 years old. i've used it for bow & gun hunting. i suppose in a typical year i climb 20-30 trees. Am i just looking for a reason to buy a new one, or do you think it's warranted?

Mastertangler

Re: Treestand life expectancy

Postby Mastertangler » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:52 am

Life....as long as it's safe to use. But if you want to buy new, and can afford to, then why not?

I've got some old climbers too, but every few years I put new bolts and plastic washers in them, etc. I know they are weathered and worn, but they work great and are comfy.....like an old pair of jeans!

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:55 pm

I only use hang on stands. I've never had one get "old", provided I replace straps when needed.

I did have a stand in a tree so long that the tree grew enough that I had to cut the strap to release the stand.

Regardless, go buy a new stand. You can't have too many!

Happy hunting,

Jimbo

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:12 pm

Buy one if you want and can afford one. I have never worn one out..
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:21 pm

IMO the life expectancy of a treestand depends on how well you take care of it. Many hunters leave their stands in the woods year round and exposed to the elements. I take mine down after the season each year and perform any maintenance that needs done. I think leaving them out would reduce the life of the stand. In your case, since it is a climber, I assume you pack it in and out and don't leave it in the woods. I would say as long as you feel safe it it, keep using it. Happy Hunting!
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

Return to Wisconsin