Legislature wants to repeal earn-a-buck...

Jslotter

Legislature wants to repeal earn-a-buck...

Postby Jslotter » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:40 am

Here is the link. What are your thoughts?
http://www.weau.com/home/headlines/Legi ... 55733.html
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

pgchambers

Re: Legislature wants to repeal earn-a-buck...

Postby pgchambers » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:09 pm

I am all over the map on this one. The article trys to paint a complex issue too simply.

On the one hand, I like the idea of be allowed to choose for myself what is best for the land I am hunting. Regardless of what the DNR says, some years in the past, we did not have enough does to warrant earn a buck. This year we have too many, and earn a buck is not in effect in my area, yet I am going to take several does this year, because it is best for our area.

On the other hand, a lot of hunters are just out there for the trophy. If we leave it up to individuals to shoot does as needed, will they?

On my third hand(foot maybe?), does it have as big of effect on the herd as the DNR would have us believe? I think it probably does.

On the other foot, deer season and out of state hunters help the WI economy. If over population of does means fewer big bucks, how will that effect things when those out of staters start going somewhere else? I know some Wisconsites like the idea, but it still bears discussion.

In the end, I would like to see what Dr. Kroll has to say about the issue before we do anything, since we have hired him to give us an expert analysis.
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:18 pm

Not get all political and take sides, but I think some of it has to do with Democrats trying shut down everything Walker is trying to do out of defiance. Its obvious one side isn't listening to the hunters and land owners, and rather try to repeal EAB no matter what the general public thinks. I never liked EAB. Talking with many other hunters, they never wanted it either. Let the majority speak for itself....

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:29 pm

If it comes to a vote, we all need to take a side. I am leaning the same way as you, and I think the Dems trying to spite Walker is a given. Though I don't think you'll find too many Repubs working towards compromise these days either. I guess that is what brings me back to Dr. Kroll. He is from out of state, Texas I believe, and his whole life has been about Whitetails, so I personally would put significant stock in his thoughts on the matter.
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:28 pm

I kinda like how it is in the CWD zone where you are allowed to kill a buck first but after you shoot a buck you go back to EAB. It's kinda a win for everyone since trophy hunters can go after a big buck without shooting a doe.
Scott

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:44 pm

From my perspective, last year was the best overall antler growth I have seen in my life time. There were a lot of nice bucks taken by ourselves and neighbors - it was unreal. We quit EAB in my zone this past year and the deer on my land have exploded in one year. Sightings are double, we have more 1.5 year olds, less large bucks and a whole bunch of spikes. Yes, in one year.

I am not smart enough to tell you if the focus on bucks last year did all of this but right now, EAB is looking good to me. The way it was working with shoot your doe the year before was attractive to me.

I would rather have more liberal means for landowners to manage the deer on their own land but if big govt has be micro manage the deer, EAB is the only answer I can think of. I have a farmer next to me with crop damage tags, thankfully. I want a balance so I can get some forestry regeneration, nice healthy old animals and have a nice population where the deer can prosper.

I predict this is going to be a big deal in farm country unless the boys really, really begin shooting does

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:44 pm

I don't know why everyone hates EAB. It's the only way to truly control the herd population and the QDM & TDM guys should absolutely love it because it results in better nutrition for the remaining bucks and to a point helps with age structure. About the only thing that could get better for the QDM & TDM guys are APR's and I'm sure they will be a recommendation of Dr. Deer's in March.

The problem it poses is that it will be the death knell for a lot of traditional ways of hunting in the state. Deer drives will all but go away due to the APRs. I can't help but think that a lot of the overpopulation problem is due to the trophy mentality that has grown over the years. Less driving and moving of deer because it's not the way trophy's are shot. Everyone sits now and then there is baiting...a whole nuther subject and can of worms...

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:12 pm

Thats what it is Dan. I see alot of deer in the off-season, especially during winter thaw. I can tell you, we aren't short of deer to hunt up where Im from. People need to be smarter than the deer and (as Woodswalker would say) hunt them, rather than sit and wait for them every time they enter the woods. Or, the hunters that gripe about not seeing deer need to set aside time to properly scout the woods they hunt and set up their stand in better spots.

eberhaar863828

Postby eberhaar863828 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:50 pm

Really wish politicians would stay out of game management and natural resource decisions. What do they know about these issues?
Ducks

windsor

Postby windsor » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:41 pm

The bill passed. EAB is no longer in the DNR's tool bag of tricks to manage the herd. I dont like EAB, but understand why it is a nessasry evil.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/outdoors/bill-takes-earnabuck-away-from-dnr-132108768.html

Next

Return to Wisconsin