Rutting Progress Journal 2011

umpiremark

Rutting Progress Journal 2011

Postby umpiremark » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:22 am

I thought it might be fun (and helpful to our fellow hunters) to keep a running journal of who's seeing what as far as the progress of the rut, here in WI.

I think we should post:

~ When you went out (day/date);
~ What you saw as far as rutting signs;
~ Where you were hunting; and,
~ Time of day/night you observed this behavior.

Include any trail cam pics on here (or the trail cam thread or hunting journal thread) that would help with these observations.

My son and I hunted in the wind all last weekend (10/14, 15, 16) and collected SD cards from all four food plots. We saw 4 bucks on camera, just walking by (not eating). There were no scrapes, no rubs visible in the woods (near the stands) or around any of the food plots. We hunt in Juneau County, 5 miles west of Necedah.

I hope this becomes a helpful tool for this Wisconsin thread.
One day my ship will come in!! My luck, I'll be at the airport.

Jslotter

Re: Rutting Progress Journal 2011

Postby Jslotter » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:39 am

Last saturday the 15th I saw about 5 scrapes inside the woods near the sanctuary, and 1 scrape near my current stand. Today, the 19th, I found at least 6 new fresh scrapes and a fresh rub within 60 yards from my tree stand on the other side of the property, the same spot where I found just 1 scrape last Saturday. So, they are in their scrape phase it seems, shouldn't be long until chase phase begins. Eastern St. Croix county.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

wi_hunter

Postby wi_hunter » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:12 pm

We hunted on October 9 and didn't get back out til the 14th and we have over two dozen scrapes that were made in that 5 day period. These were just on the logging roads heading to our stands. We own 85 acres. Moved cameras onto some scrapes so hopefully I will have good reports after this weekend.
Patience is the key to success.

umpiremark

Postby umpiremark » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:30 am

Thanks Wi_Hunter, good luck on those scrape pics ... and just for the record, WI_Hunter hunts:

Re: So where is everyone from?
by wi_hunter » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:21 pm

Marathon county ... Northwest of Stratford is where I hunt
One day my ship will come in!! My luck, I'll be at the airport.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:32 am

It wasn't until October 16 that I saw any rut activity in my neck o' the woods (southwestern Dane County).

Had one fresh rub and some beginnings of scrapes on the road to my stand.

My brother reports much more active rutting up at our place in Washburn County--lots of serious scrapes. I am heading up tomorrow to hunt those big woods bucks.

Jimbo

wi_hunter

Postby wi_hunter » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:05 pm

Sat after work today with my girlfriend. She sat on the food plot and I sat just off of it. The scrape we saw get made last Friday has been freshened up since Sunday. I saw 1 tonight and the gf saw four on the plot. All doe-less fawns so that might mean something this time of year. Full weekend of hunting coming up with report to follow Sunday or Monday. Good luck everyone.
Patience is the key to success.

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:48 pm

It's definitely heating up. We have two big eights hitting the same scrape line right now. I hope we can get to one of them before they have a chance to break eack other up. I'm a torn between going after them right away, or leaving the pressure off that area for another week. I guess if that's the worst that I can whine about right now, I'm in pretty good shape.
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

bouhntr

Postby bouhntr » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:47 pm

I am on vacation next vweek, so I plan on going out as much as I can. I hunt near portage, and also up near mauston. My buddy up by mauston says he has been out a couple times this week and has seen some fresh rubs, but he hasn't really been looking for scrapes. he saw 7 does one day and five deer the second time out. this morning , going to work I went by where I hunt near portage and there was a nice buck standing right next to the road. this was around 6 30 this morning. I think it's getting close. good luck and be safe :)

beaverman05

Postby beaverman05 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:25 pm

I was out the 17th and saw ( i think anyway, ill get to that) a scrape on a logging road which in years past has always produced some good scrape lines, so to see only one was kind of discouraging.... What also was discouraging ( im getting to it now) was that the scrape I did find might have been a mock scrape made by another hunter. it didn't have any tracks near it and it looked as if someone, probally my cousin, racked the ground with a stick so i might not have seen a scrape at all.... Im going out tomorrow and i think i might put a camera on the scrape to find the truth out, thats if the wind is right!

On another note I absolutly love the idea of this thread... Us hunters need to share are information regarding the rut for all of us to be better hunters!!! good job guys keep up the good work!!!!

Bigfoot

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:04 pm

went out tonight and had a buck with no antlers come in....then had a doe and fawn come in and the no antler buck chased her around 3 different times till she ran off.......on the 3rd go round it attracted the attention of a big buck(my definition,not magazine big) who after making a scrape decided to go after the doe,he came outta thick brush and was 5 yards from going back into thick brush when i got him stopped.......hopefully in the morning their's a short tracking job :D

Next

Return to Wisconsin