Rutting Progress Journal 2011

kellory

Re: Rutting Progress Journal 2011

Postby kellory » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:17 pm

Good job, let us know what happens! Any problem with Yotes where you are?
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

buckwild

Postby buckwild » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:07 pm

I hunted Sat, Oct 15. Been seeing good sign near a hot oak tree that is dropping tons of acorns. I enter through a soybean field and there have been new rubs along the edge every time ive been through this spot (3 times). I also watched a 2.5 yr old 8 pt make a scrape in the corner of the field. He urinated in it after he made it then he walked along the tree line where I couldn't see him. I also saw a spike and then another young buck (4 or more points). The weekend before (Oct 9) I saw a 5 pt and another spike (maybe same deer as the 15th). The last two weekends ive actually seen more bucks than does. (I did get a doe on the 15th). this is an evening stand and all activity has been between 4:45 and dark. I hunt northern Illinois (Ogle county).

going into the woods a little deeper on Sunday afternoon (Oct 23). I will report if I see anything.
Semper Fidelis!

Bigfoot

Postby Bigfoot » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:36 pm

not as short of a blood trail as i would have liked,but it did all work out in the end
Attachments
017.jpg
017.jpg (131.33 KiB) Viewed 119 times

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:38 pm

Very nice Bigfoot! Come on now, details, you are teasing us! ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Bigfoot

Postby Bigfoot » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:06 pm

had an anterless buck that kept chasing a doe around on his 3rd attempt i could see antlers coming down the fence line in the thick brush,that's when the doe decided to stare at me even though she had walked under my stand a couple times,eventually she decided she didnt like me and headed behind me to the neighbors place,the buck in the picture was about to do the same when i got him stopped and shot him with about 15 minutes left of legal shooting light.......couldnt quite tell if i shot him right behind the front leg or in the front leg,but of course he headed to the neighbors place(thankfully it's in MFL and that part is open to the public and we have permission to track on the part not open to the public)

me and my dad went out their at 1st light this morning and at first their was very little blood to go on we went 50-60 yards and could hear a deer go crashing through the woods a ways in front of us(couldnt see the deer) once we got up in that area their was quite a bit of blood.....then the blood trail would go back to not much after 20 minutes or so we would hear a deer go crashing through the woods(still couldnt see it) after another time or two of that we started hitting fresh blood so we knew we kept bumping my buck, shortly thereafter we saw the fence line tracked the blood till it was back on our property....figured we would give the deer some more time as it wasnt running as far before stopping but didnt want to keep bumping it..............went out about 2pm tracked it about 50 yards and their it was(shot right in the middle of the front leg

i'm not sure if you were asking me about coyotes.....i have never seen 1 around here(have heard them howling at night) and thankfully none of our deer have been chewed on when we found them....... though i have seen a wolf and 3 different black bears over the last 4 years

bouhntr

Postby bouhntr » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:40 pm

near portage wisc.saturday oct. 22nd. got to the woods about 2:30 saw four scrapes walking to my stand. I kicked up a doe about 20 yards ffrom my stand. I hung a active scrape dripper by my stand,and poured some active scrape on the ground. I also hung my trail cam next to it. got up in my stand and got settled. sat until about 5;30 I look out to the marsh and saw a doe and a buck. they sat out there milling around for about a half hour then bounded off. about 6;15 two does came in. one walked right under my stand the other one found my mock scrape and stood around for a little while. then a six pointer came in with a doe and hung around for a bit doing some soft grunts and a little noseing around, while they were there another young buck and doe came in. both of them found my scrape. then they walk right by my stand and walked off. I should have some neat pics on my camera because they alll walked by it. here I thought it was going to be a slow night, but it turned out to be pretty exciting. good luck and be safe :)

wi_hunter

Postby wi_hunter » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:18 am

been out 4 times since friday. have seen small bucks every sit except this morning oct 23. friday i had a small buck come through about 430 and he stopped for the grunt but that was it. saturday morning had a 1.5yr old buck come in and turned him with the grunt and got him within 30yds but then lost interest. saturday evening i kicked up 4 deer on the way to my stand not sure what they were. i did some rattling and another 1.5yr old came in to that. he inspected the area for about 10 minutes and then just walked off. does are moving earlier than they were a few weeks ago. going out again tonight and if anything happens ill post. scrapes are still getting hit hard and the mock scrapes we have put up and getting hit daily by bucks and does. we use active scrape with drippers. starting to get some shooters on camera but all at night.
Patience is the key to success.

beaverman05

Postby beaverman05 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:48 am

I was out yesterday the 22nd and saw 4 new scrapes since wednesday... I shot a young doe that night and i got her on video (I'll try to post a link to it on here hope it works). but if ya look close you can see a scrape in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3ARfVUM6II

you might want to skip to about 2:30 in the video!!!!!

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:56 am

Good video Beaver. Can't shoot big does??? Congrats to you and the fellow with the buck a few post above....
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Meules37

Postby Meules37 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:57 pm

Awesome video beaver. I live in washington county (slinger) and have some land that is adjacent to a soybean field and some other forest. Rubs have been on the increase, but have only found one scrape. Put my camera near the scrape about a week ago and have some night pictures of two bucks visiting it 5 minutes apart. Then checked the card today, and have the 9-pointer visiting it at 8 this morning.
Attachments
9 point.jpg
9 point.jpg (164.51 KiB) Viewed 79 times
Last edited by Meules37 on Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin