Rutting Progress Journal 2011

kellory

Re: Rutting Progress Journal 2011

Postby kellory » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:16 pm

nice looking deer! I would be happy taking him. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

bobow

Postby bobow » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:30 pm

Bigfoot wrote:not as short of a blood trail as i would have liked,but it did all work out in the end

Congratulations on a great hunt & a great buck!
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:50 pm

Meules37 wrote:Awesome video beaver. I live in washington county (slinger) and have some land that is adjacent to a soybean field and some other forest. Rubs have been on the increase, but have only found one scrape. Put my camera near the scrape about a week ago and have some night pictures of two bucks visiting it 5 minutes apart. Then checked the card today, and have the 9-pointer visiting it at 8 this morning.

Wow! thats nice. Get that camera up a little higher, get a better view of that rack next time. I been hearing from other bow hunters in western Wisconsin that they are seeing some chasing going on this weekend. Mostly small bucks. The big boys from what some told me, are still nocturnal.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

umpiremark

Postby umpiremark » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:26 am

Again ... 5 miles west of Necedah, Juneau County ...

Saw several bucks on camera in the turnips, we have 3 plots on 120 acres. Saw 3 bucks in one plot in a 2 hour window; pics taken the 19th all around midnight. Scrapes now open in all 3 food plots and rubs and scrapes inside the woods. Nothing there last week.

Hunted Sat evening (22nd) and had a family of 3 does in the turnips at 4:30. Fed west and off the plot. At 5:30 a different family of 3 (with a smaller fawn) fed onto the plot. They too fed west off the plot and then I heard grunting, chasing, running, grunting and onto the plot (at 54 yards) stepped a tall tined 10 pointer. He looked left, right, around and spotted this tiny fawn and chased it up the hill and poof! Gone. Nice buck - gun season that 54 yard shot would have been money.From the 8 nano-seconds I saw that buck, I'm guessing 2-1/2 maybe 3-1/2.

Back up for the Halloween hunt this weekend. Let's see what we see! Things are picking up!!!
One day my ship will come in!! My luck, I'll be at the airport.

unkleboo

Postby unkleboo » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:06 am

I hunt in Monroe County and this last weekend I saw rubs and scrapes all over the place. Saw one mature bucks through quite a bit of brush, saw lots of antler but no discernible way to tell exact size, that was at 530 or so on Friday eve. I put a cam on a crabapple tree three weeks ago that always gets scrape action and true to form upon checking my cam, scrapes have now been made there. My cam picked up two nice bucks. Didn't see anything chasing yet but by next weekend I should start seeing daytime travelling by bucks, I always do around the 30th of Oct in that area. Two weeks of vacation starting on the 31st and that is when I close on some land up there too. My very own hunting land.
Attachments
buck2web.jpg
wide 9 pointer
buck2web.jpg (118.22 KiB) Viewed 144 times
buckweb.jpg
10 pointer
buckweb.jpg (171.51 KiB) Viewed 144 times

BIG 8

Postby BIG 8 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:02 pm

I was able to get out both sat and sun. Saturday I got to my stand a little late and as soon as I got to my tree there was already a small buck with a doe. The doe seemed ok with him being there so I wonder if she is gettin close ;) Then when I was done hunting I went out shinning and saw a 3 1/2 yr old with a doe and he acted like a rutting buck does, he didn't care one bit about the light shinning on him just cared about the doe. On sunday I had a doe and two fawns walk past me and they were followed by two bucks a 1 1/2 yr old and a 3 1/2 yr old 10 that I really had to keep myself from shooting. I think its starting here in polk county. Can't wait to get out there again!!
Addicted to hunting!!

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:36 pm

Bigfoot: Glad you found your buck and congrats on a great buck!!!
Scott

Bigfoot

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:19 pm

thanks everyone :D ......gotta love it when you show your neighbor the deer you got and they go where did you get that one cause we dont have deer like that here(hehe yes you do)

i've always found it funny how deer seem to know when you dont have a tag to hunt them anymore.....both sunday and today we have had an 8 pointer, a 9 pointer and a 10 pointer come thru our front yard between 5pm and 6pm

here's the 9 pointer in what's left of our vegetable garden with my target practice treestand in the picture, which is roughly 20 feet from the deck of our house :lol:
Attachments
018.jpg
018.jpg (232.22 KiB) Viewed 107 times

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:41 pm

Well Bigfoot, You have the best deer stand ever.... Your own house! :D
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:51 pm

I know a guy with a permanent shooting loft built into the rear of his garage second floor. It overlooks his garden and the soybean field backed by the woods. Nice set up, electric blankets, beer cooler, electric cooktop, with coffee always on. Wish I could do that! ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin