Random thoughts on a deer stand

umpiremark

Random thoughts on a deer stand

Postby umpiremark » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:25 am

Congrats so far to the WI D&DH board members that have venison in the freezer already; good luck to those of us that don't in the final weeks of the early bow season and the coming gun season.

We (I) spend a lot of solitude on the deer stands. In that, sometimes the dumbest and strangest thoughts enter my head while I'm staring into spaces ahead of the treestand. I thought this could be a light, funny thread about some of the thoughts we "stand hunters" think about during the slow times on that stand. I'll start this way ...

1) Why do Kit-Kat candy bars taste so good on the stand, yet make so much noise extracting it from the wrapper?
1a) How come - after seeing nothing for hours - you always see a deer when you begin to open the first Kit-Kat of the day?
2) Of all the apples I've eaten on stand, why isn't there one apple tree on our property?
3) Why does the oddest song - and most annoying tune - always get stuck in my head in the middle of a sit?
4) I wonder if I could invent x-ray deer hunting glasses that would eliminate all the foilage and I could see if there were any deer hiding behind that big oak tree, snickering at me 16-feet in the air?

Post your own random and weird thoughts ... Enjoy!!
One day my ship will come in!! My luck, I'll be at the airport.

rmontez

Re: Random thoughts on a deer stand

Postby rmontez » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:37 am

lol those are some pretty good thoughts.. I honestly can't think of one thought I have while in my stand that sticks out in my head.

Mastertangler

Postby Mastertangler » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:05 am

I think the eating is mother natures way of screwing with us. Be it hunting or fishing, something happens when you're least prepared for the moment.

As for thoughts:
- is this expensive arrow and broadhead worth trying to hit that red squirrel?
- why are all these turkeys here when I deer hunt and I see deer when I turkey hunt?
- who's bright idea was it to put the Packer game at 3:15 during the rut....don't they know we're supposed to be hunting then

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:35 am

On one of the coldest, crappiest mornings I've ever sat during a bow season this year, a few weeks ago. Im the kinda guy that likes being miserable while hunting. I dont need gas heaters, hand warmers, waterproof clothes, and I wear just enough layers to keep me somewhat warm. Thats the kinda way I was brought up hunting. As my Grandfather would say, "If you are uncomfortable out there, stay put, cuz the deer are too, and they are gonna get up and move". He was usually right. Well anyways, I was determined to sit and put as much time in the woods as I can that morning. But, suddenly a thought popped into my head. A big, creamy cinnamon roll with some cappucino from Kwik Trip. Oh my god, that sounds so freakin good. I sat for a little while longer pondering. I couldn't resist, and packed my stuff, and headed to Kwik Trip. My grandfather would come unglued if he was alive. Screw hunting this morning, cinnamon rolls are way better than this. Other times, I have had many random thoughts while hunting. I have had Lady gaga songs stuck in my head, I think of imaginary deer walking by my tree, and what would I do to kill it with an arrow, I will guess which direction the deer will be coming from, and usually they won't come from that direction. For the most part, I try to concentrate and look and listen the best I can. I sit for about 4-5 hours at a time. Which seems like a whole day of hunting sometimes....
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

rmontez

Postby rmontez » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:20 pm

Jslotter I used to hunt the same way you started out your post with but I spent one season in a heated stand and ever since then I have become a sissy! I was actually laughing at the stand my sons grandpa put us in because it had a roof, walls, two chairs and a double buddy heater. I kept telling my boy "this isn't real hunting". After that a little later in the season I put on my 2 layers of cloths and headed to my stand in 10 degree weather with -2 windchill and I was praying for that double buddy heater. I still hunt without a buddy heater but I put on allot more layers of clothes and some really big boots!

bouhntr

Postby bouhntr » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:10 pm

I agree with the song stuck in your head , that seems to happen to at times also. how about having the cell phone going off in my pocket when on stand. thank god for vibrate. and then having a text that says( you hunting?) lol . sitting on stand when everything is quiet and catching yourself nodding off. good luck everyone and hunt safe. :)

umpiremark

Postby umpiremark » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:09 am

More random thoughts while on stand ...

5) Why do they call this thing I'm perched in a "deer stand?" I haven't seen a deer all day and the only time I stand is to stretch my legs. They should call this a "nothin' sitter." As in, "Hey Bob, did you see that new Lone Wole nothin' sitter?"

6) Just how many chickadees are in this frickin' corner of the woods?

7) How is it possible that mice and shrews on the forest floor sound like elephants walking through piles of corn flakes and deer sneak up on me unnanounced?

8) How long can I sit here and not formulate a thought? Okay, what was that? Three nano-seconds?

9) Wouldn't you think at some point a woodpecker would go ... "Sheeee-yit I'm tired of banging my beak against these trees. What was I thinking?"

More as I think of them ... ... ... on stand, of course!!
One day my ship will come in!! My luck, I'll be at the airport.

RNC

Postby RNC » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:27 am

With close to 30 years of sitting in tree stands I am sure I have had millions of random thoughts. I may of even had a million dollar idea for the next widget. In fact some of these ideas were so promising I even recall telling myself "Wow, you may be on to something. You need to remember this and write it down when you get back to the truck". Oh wait, what was that? I saw a flash of movement. Yep its a deer, drats its going the other direction. Hmmm, damn what was I thinking about?
Of course this is hard. It's supposed to be hard, thats what makes it great. If it was easy everyone would do it!

bobow

Postby bobow » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:10 am

In the line of thought on the x-ray glasses, I think a predator drone would be a sweet addition to a hunting tool or gadget arsenal..... ;)
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

rmontez

Postby rmontez » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:54 pm

I sat last night for a about 4 hours and all I could think is "What am I thinking about?" then I noticed I wasn't really thinking about anything. I was just scanning the woods and brush expecting to see a deer that hadn't been standing there the last time I scanned it. I had a little nub buck come lay down 15 yards behind my stand and even though I didn't startle him it seemed he was staring at me the whole time.

Next

Return to Wisconsin