Digging out a hole.

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
dollarbill300

Digging out a hole.

Postby dollarbill300 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:28 am

Last year, in september, I put out a trophy rock. The rock is now gone and the picture is what the deer have done on the spot where the rock was placed. There are deer tracks all around the hole and inside the hole. Is this normal? Why are they digging a hole? I also found a shed antler about 10 feet behind the hole. The tree next to the hole is rubbed, but I'm not sure if it was made by a deer rubbing his antlers. The rubs go up over my head.
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (199.48 KiB) Viewed 2418 times

Ohio farms

Re: Digging out a hole.

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:32 pm

I've seen that before. Usually. the block will leech into the soil and the deer will lick it up.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu May 01, 2014 7:19 pm

While it is illegal to put out mineral blocks or feed deer here in IL, a timber I hunted with my Dad as a kid has a spot like this. Apparently the farmer had stages some kind of product to put on his fields for awhile, and a bunch had leeched down into the soil. For about 5 years after the pile was gone, the deer would come and apparently just lick up the dirt to get the benefit of the minerals. The hole ended up being about 4 ft deep...it was HUGE. We made sure to stay away with our stands so that we didn't get in trouble...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Fri May 02, 2014 10:50 pm

The mineral block with the help of rain melts the minerals into the ground and the deer eat the dirt that has the minerals imbedded in it. I have found that this works best when put in an area with clay as a ground source.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Sat May 03, 2014 6:22 am

That makes sense, Charlie... I would think that a soil with a lot of clay would prevent the minerals from leeching through the soil very quickly. The area where I was talking about definitely has a high clay content.

By the way, how's it going? Get any good sheds this year?
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Mon May 05, 2014 2:59 pm

I've tried all sorts of soil, sand, (the worst) regular dirt,(tolerable) clay based, (the best). But having a low spot that collects water is a plus in order to melt the mineral brick. I'm not talking salt blocks, what I have used are the house brick sized red mineral bricks sold at livestock stores. It must soak into the clay. One can see where the deer shave the sides down with their hooves and must eat what they have shaved. In one place there was a small water hole, maybe 4 or 5 ft. across, and maybe 6" deep. I would put 2 min. bricks in it. I had a doe that used to come there regularly and drink forever. She really seemed to enjoy those drinks.

As far as shed hunting goes, I'm up to 35. Some good pairs and a lot of small ones. Should have found more but I was sick and lost 3 weeks time. I had a tick related disease (not Lyme disease) that got into my blood steam and caused all kinds of problems. I'm just about back to my normal self.
I found something most interesting with the sheds this year. I occasionally get sheds from the same deer from one year to the next, and this year, all those antlers were smaller than last years. These are mature bucks and not that old to be regressing because of age. I believe the reason to be the results of last years early hot and very dry summer. I believe this weather shortened the in velvet growing time. I have heard from someone somewhere that last year was not a good year for antler growth in the Midwest.

Anyway, watch those ticks and use things like OFF and spray yourself when out. And check yourself when the day is done at home. After what I went through I will be more diligent in checking myself. Don't want to go through that again, and if you knew, you wouldn't either.
never say never

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon May 05, 2014 5:53 pm

Sorry to hear you were so ill, charlie. Hope you have fully recovered in time for hunting this year. You never cease to amaze me, in your shed collecting.
I would tend to agree with you theory on antler growth being affected by Environmental variables. Much like reading weather and seasons in tree rings. The evidence is there, if we pay attention to it.
As to ticks, my FIL had lime disease Due to ticks just a couple of years ago. Truly a good thing to avoid if possible.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Mon May 05, 2014 10:05 pm

Oh, I'm doing fine Kellory. So fine that I'm still looking for sheds in a few places that I haven't been to before things green up much more. But still building myself back up, lost a lot of weight and some mussel tone.

The tick was a regular wood tick (the larger kind) which I never bothered to worry about because its been known that the very tiny ticks are the ones that carry the Lyme disease. Anyway, I learned a lesson and will thus far be more cautious about any ticks.
never say never

dollarbill300

Postby dollarbill300 » Thu May 08, 2014 4:55 pm

I had my trail camera out focused on this spot and there were a good amount of pictures. Multiple deer standing directly in the hole digging and scraping. Thanks for the advice about putting over clay.

Return to All About Deer Sign