Moon phases and Rut timing

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
boxcallkid

RE: Moon phases and Rut timing

Postby boxcallkid » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:09 pm

Here in Mich, last week of Oct. first week of Nov. All other factors take a back seat! I wish I had a thousand acre spread to experiment with under controlled conditions but that probobly won't happen. I still say" hormones trump moon beams"
Like gramps used to say, "Why is it there's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over?"

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:04 am

I still say" hormones trump moon beams"

Agreed. I think that the full moon encourages some movement after dark compared to a darker phase of the moon. This means that you may see less movement during daylight hours during a full moon simply because the deer are more active after dark. But all in all, a buck is going to breed a hot doe regardless of moon beams and time of day. I'm sure their eyes adjust to the dark just like ours.

buckwrangler

Postby buckwrangler » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:29 pm

I see a lot of folks talking about phase, and the light that comes from the moon, and how if it's cloudy that the moon can't affect deer behavior. Of course. That the LIGHT of the moon would have anything to do with deer behavior is nonsensical. However, the moon's gravity is always present, regardless of cloud cover or weather conditions.

Forget about phases, and key in on the moon's position. Think about how strongly the oceans are affected by the moon's gravity. HuntByMoon.com has correlated moon position and sunrise/sunset data to predict not only the best times to hunt, but also WHERE to hunt, that is, what kind of terrain. Thousands of hunting pros are using the moon's position to plan their greatest hunts. Why aren't you?

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:28 pm

ORIGINAL: buckwrangler

I see a lot of folks talking about phase, and the light that comes from the moon, and how if it's cloudy that the moon can't affect deer behavior. Of course. That the LIGHT of the moon would have anything to do with deer behavior is nonsensical. However, the moon's gravity is always present, regardless of cloud cover or weather conditions.

Forget about phases, and key in on the moon's position. Think about how strongly the oceans are affected by the moon's gravity. HuntByMoon.com has correlated moon position and sunrise/sunset data to predict not only the best times to hunt, but also WHERE to hunt, that is, what kind of terrain. Thousands of hunting pros are using the moon's position to plan their greatest hunts. Why aren't you?

Thousands of merchants PAY for their advertising...why don't YOU!!??? [:@]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:11 pm

Woodsie, when I first read your comment to Buckwrangler, I wondered what you meant. However, similar posts later, I finally get it.

Previous

Return to All About Deer Sign