Crazy licking branch idea?

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
Wolf River Hunter

Crazy licking branch idea?

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:16 am

I put sticks covered in peanut butter in front of my trail cams to get some pictures and I noticed the deer always lick the peanut butter off leaving the stick pretty much intact. I was wondering how well it would work if I used those same sticks as licking branches over mock scrapes since they are covered in deer scent.

Goose

RE: Crazy licking branch idea?

Postby Goose » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:20 am

I would think that it would work.
Taking a licking branch from an active scrape and putting it over a mock scrape is actually a good tactic. You have to make sure that you keep it scent free. You can use zip-ties or nails to attach it to the new tree.
You could even take the dirt from an active scrape and put it in your mock scrape via a zip-lok bag.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:36 am

So did you try it, and if so, how did it work out?
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Pursuit Hunter

Postby Pursuit Hunter » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:00 am

Or better yet, just rake back the leaves with a stick under a likely looking licking branch and take a big ol' leak in your new scrape. The Deer will take care of the rest. It works, I promise.
Hunting takes place before you climb into your stand. Everything after that is just shooting. TM

www.pursuithunting.com

Semper Fi

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:11 pm

[font="Verdana"][/font]Just make sure that those deer don't have a peanut allergy, or you might get your butt sued off!!! [;)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:30 am

I think you may have something there Wolf.  That's a good idea worth a try.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

scotman

Postby scotman » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:51 pm

[align=center]
ORIGINAL: Woods Walker Just make sure that those deer don't have a peanut allergy, or you might get your butt sued off!!! [;)]

[/align]
Had to comment, I got a laugh out of that Woods Walker.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

Bowtech1670

Postby Bowtech1670 » Mon May 24, 2010 12:20 pm

I really dont think this idea would work, for one the deer are lickinght ebranch because the penut butter smells good to them, 2 "licking" sticks are really used to spread scent from their gland on their head...and not so much licking great way to get picks, and probably see deer, but if i was u, for my mock scrapes i would stick to useing some kind of bottled scent, or cut the glands out of harvested bucks
QDM is a choice, not a law!!!

Return to All About Deer Sign