deer hearing

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
deer1

deer hearing

Postby deer1 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:56 am

I use the game ears when i'm hunting, and sometimes when i'm hunting next to farmers field while they are picking there crops i have to either take them out or turn them way down, i know a deers hearing is way better than ours, but was curious about how the tolerate the loud noise?? any body know??

Woods Walker

RE: deer hearing

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:17 am

[font="Verdana"][/font]Deer, as everyone knows, are maybe THE most adaptable wild creature on the planet. Those deer who reside next to humans, from the suburbs to the farm areas are well acquainted with the sounds and smells of their human neighbors. In many cases what sounds like a loud noise to us, is a dinner bell to them. Combines, farmer's pickup trucks that are used to feed livestock, are many times an ATTRACTANT more than a warning. It all comes down to CONTEXT of when and where they hear the sounds, and their past experience with that sound.

I once had a place to bowhunt in the suburbs that was located right next to train tracks. Not only did the sound of the trains not bother the deer, but even the sounds of the track maintenence crews, which in addition to the usual clattering and banging also had human shouts mixed in with them. As long as the sounds stayed on the tracks they were fine and went about their business.

I was once in a duck hunting club along the Illinois River, and I can't tell you how many times we had deer walk right on the levee well within gun range of our blinds. In fact, we wondered if during the firearm deer season we should maybe just hunt from the duck blind!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Ohio farms

RE: deer hearing

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:32 am

I've had some very good luck bowhunting 50 yards or so into the woods while the combine is picking corn.  They hear it and stage in the woods. I make a point of being on stand when the corn is harvested. They are quick to figure what is going on around them.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Return to All About Deer Sign