what is lowest calibre rifle to use for deer shootin

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
Archer917

RE: what is lowest calibre rifle to use for deer shootin

Postby Archer917 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:40 am

[size="3"][font="tahoma"]The .243 is an excellent round for deer and antelope sized game don't think I would use it on any thing bigger than that. And like every one else said check your local game laws. And I don't think Barney knows what he is talking about as he is a police officer and not a conservation officer completely different set of laws. [/font][/size]

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:59 pm

A 243 cal rifle is the smallest that I think should be used but there are those that will start the crap that a 223 is fine and usually start a heated argument . ....... I use a 25-06 wity 120 gr Remington Core-Lokt bullets .
Semper Fi !

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:32 pm

I believe here in Missouri You can Hunt with any Center Fire Rifle,not sure what the smallest caliber would be but a .223,a .243 on up is permisable.I'm like most a .243 with a 100 grain bullet is as low as I would go personally but there are some newer,smaller center-fire caliber Rifles out there on the market that are better used for small Predators and Varmits,Crows etc...!Like most have mentioned You need to check with your local Laws or Conservation Agent to see exactly what Caliber Rifles are allowed for the Game You are Hunting?

Then there's Over-kill in my opinion on some Rifles like a .300 Win Mag....is there a Deer left when someone hits/shoots it with those type of Guns? [8|] [;)]

I have been using a Browning .243 Rifle with the 100 grain Hornady bullets and with good shot placement (heart or double lung) they will go down,I have shot several nice size Doe's and have 2 nice 8-Point Bucks hanging on my wall from using my Browning A-Bolt .243 Hunter Rifle.

deojee1414

Postby deojee1414 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:58 pm

No doubt a .243 will kill deer sized animals with proper shot placement, the one downside i've witnessed is frequently you dont get a pass through and that combined with the small entrance hole can leave you with not much of a blood trail. I hunt big woods where a deer can be out of sight in one or two jumps after the shot so I only use my .243 when there is snow cover to aid in tracking. When there's no snow i go with my .308 which either knocks them down or at least makes a big hole and adequate blood trail even i can follow with no snow.

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:59 pm

My dad has always shot a 243. 100 grain and he loves it. I may be purchasing one for my wife this summer for deer season.

I grew up hunting with a Marlin 32spcl and it is still the only deer rifle I own. I love it. I feel comfortable shooting up to 175yards , and it does great at close range and is a good brush gun. Plus its lever action so it makes me feel like a cowboy!

As far as a 300 Win Mag, they are quite popular in central FL where I hunt, open palmetto flats offer long distance shots(although only few guys are capable of making them), and it is very hard (nearly impossible)to pattern where the deer will travel through these palmetto fields so the extra range is great. This will be the next gun I purchase.

I believe shot placement is more important as far as ruining meat than the caliber of the gun.

And to answer your question I wouldn't want to use anything smaller than a 100 grain 243.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

lolo12

Postby lolo12 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:22 am

As far as my knowledge goes, I am sure that the .243 rifle is the rifle rating for deer hunting. But one more thing to be checked is the state regulations. Each country has its own specifications. So first check with the authorities and don’t forget to check the cartridge size also. 

DEER30

Re: what is lowest calibre rifle to use for deer shootin

Postby DEER30 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:57 pm

A.243 is the minimum caliber for hunting deer. It is quite capable of doing so with a well placed accurate shot. It is a great introduction rifle for youngsters as it has very manageable recoil. But I would recommend nothing smaller than a .270. here you have enough power to bust a deer's shoulder and still deliver a fatal shot. It is still flat shooting and recoil manageable. I personally started deer hunting with a 30-30 and graduated to a 30-06 of my fathers. No wonder that those are my preferred weapons today. But a whitetail deer is a thin skinned light boned animal and 7mm mag, .300 mag, .300 ultra mag, are also good weapons but just pack a lot more punch than a .243. www.deer30outdoors.com/caliber-selectio ... tail-deer/

Previous

Return to All About Deer Sign