Hunting Public Land

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
Hunting Junky

Hunting Public Land

Postby Hunting Junky » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:31 am

[font="times new roman"]I grew up on private land that was owned by my father. Now that Im older and moved away I hunt on public land mainly because of the shorter distance to travel (makes waking up a lot later in the morning). I began hunting on a state forest this year that only allows archery for deer season but you can use guns for small game seasons. I've gone hunting 3 or 4 times since the bow season started in September, and everytime I get out and setup daylight breaks. Then 20 or 30 mins later boom, boom, boom I've even had two guys walk right under my stand and not even see me [:@]! Until I get their attension, I realize it is public land but man!! How do you get away from these guys? Some just come out to shoot off their shootguns! Is most public land like this or did I just pick the wrong one?[/font]

Whitetailaddict

RE: Hunting Public Land

Postby Whitetailaddict » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:38 am

I hunt public land, and you have to get way back in there. First of all find where the deer may be eating, and then either find those spots that people don't go, or get your walking boots on. The woods i hunt go for miles and miles and you can only get back on a four wheeler. places like that are the best, especially during bow season because no one takes the time to go two miles back.
What state are you in hunting junky?

Hunting Junky

Postby Hunting Junky » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:35 am

Im in Kentucky. Hunting Knob State Forest and they dont allow any atvs or even horses. You gotta hike it. Which isnt a problem just getting out early enough to hike back in I work 2nd shift so Im off at 11pm hard to get up at 3 or 4am to get out there. When the guys walked under my stand I was a mile in the wood. Around a clump of oak trees with a little pond and there was lots of tracks and signs of deer. I even heard a doe behind me before all the shots start to ring out.

cva54

Postby cva54 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:03 pm

I hunt public land to have all my life. I most likey wont ether. What I do is find the place's the deer go to hide set up and ambush them when the WAR zone opens up (1st day or 2) Then the fun starts I am in MN and go all over the state got 2 last year.

windwalker

Postby windwalker » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:21 pm

Hunting junky, you could use a mountain bike to really get back there, quiet too.
Hunt hungry

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:56 pm

Sadly it seems that every state land I have hunted it pretty close to that.. Theres a few in the UP that arnt that bad. However its "anyones" land ya know, so theres not much you can do about it. Just go wayyy back there or hunt the thickest, swampiest stuff you can find. It pays off to do a lot of scouting to find food,beds, stands from others etc.... Just keep your head in there, it'll pay off. Ive taken about 14 or so deer of state land in the 10 years Ive been hunting..
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

hendo64

Postby hendo64 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 pm

I hunt state ground in Iowa and it seems that most other hunter are lazy and don't wanna walk far distances or cross big creeks to hunt. I know with ur work schedule it may be hard to but try to find time and it will pay off. Another trick is find someone who owns land bordering the state ground even people who don't allow hunting are sometimes nice enough to let ya pass through their land to the state ground. I have a couple of setups because of that and it would be long walks to these areas otherwise. Good luck this season and be careful on state ground some people are ignorant and don't pay attention to other hunters in the area.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:55 am

I only recently started bow hunting here in FL on public land.
It is quite different to say the least.
So far everytime I think I am remote enough, or secluded enough I get reminded there are lots of folks out there that are thinking the same thing.
Its tough for sure.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Hunting Junky

Postby Hunting Junky » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:40 pm

Thanks for your responces! Didn't know if I was alone there or what. Thats a great tip hendo64, I'll have to give that a try, that place is surrounded by private land. I had one guy that said he own property back in there give me and my buddy a tour of his place(in the car) one day. Said he charges $400/yr to hunt whatever back on his place but Im not that worried about it, I'll just keep at it. Hard work almost always pays off.

poorboy

Postby poorboy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:54 pm

Ive hunted public land id rather deer hunt than eat but if i only had public land to hunt id quit. A deer isnt worth getting shot over i dunno about other states but here in south carolina if u wanna get shot hunt public land. Ive been on public land hunting be in the stand before day guy walks up flash my flashlight at him and wistle he climbs up a tree no more than 20 yards from me!!!! You might look up and see a guy crawling around on the ground like a army man ive seen some crazy things go on on public land alot of fools hunt public land. hell ive even grunted up a fella lol

Next

Return to All About Deer Sign