A big but young buck track. (Pic)

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
spottedskunk

A big but young buck track. (Pic)

Postby spottedskunk » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:44 pm

This was on one of my uncle's fields that they own. There were more than 200 different tracks leading from two fields down to the rail road tracks. Going to be a nice place to hunt I believe.

buckhunter21

RE: A big but young buck track. (Pic)

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:28 pm

Looks like a nice track but there really isn't anything to compare it to! :)  I can't quite tell how big it is...Good idea next time is to put something of size that we use in everyday life down next to it to judge.  Still, nice track, and good luck this year!
QDM!

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:38 am

ORIGINAL: buckhunter21

Looks like a nice track but there really isn't anything to compare it to! :)  I can't quite tell how big it is....  Still, nice track, and good luck this year!

It might be big, but how do you tell it is young? Is it because it's pointed? And, what tells you it's a buck?

What's most impressive might be the fact that you have 200 tracks! Sounds like deer paradise -- if they can all find enough to eat! You might not need luck!

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

spottedskunk

Postby spottedskunk » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:04 am

ORIGINAL: Everyday Hunter

ORIGINAL: buckhunter21

Looks like a nice track but there really isn't anything to compare it to! :)  I can't quite tell how big it is....  Still, nice track, and good luck this year!

It might be big, but how do you tell it is young? Is it because it's pointed? And, what tells you it's a buck?

What's most impressive might be the fact that you have 200 tracks! Sounds like deer paradise -- if they can all find enough to eat! You might not need luck!

Steve

Young deer tracks are sharp pointed, old deer have worn out hooves, so their tracks do not have the pointness to them.

Bucks tend to have wider hooves than does, if you look at that hoof shape, you can tell its wide. I just have a huntch that its a young buck.

Return to All About Deer Sign