Axis deer

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
DeanoZ

Axis deer

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:48 am

Seen my first Axis Deer a couple weeks ago aboard Ft. Hood, Tx.  I heard there was a small herd aboard the fort, but they're pretty difficult to catch up with.  I was in my HMMWV enroute to our next position which parallels a creek.  Not sure why but I looked down a ravine and on the other side of the creek was an Axis deer, hanging by the creek.  Pretty animals, would love to hunt one some day.  Anyone else have any close encounters or hunt this species?

passin through

RE: Axis deer

Postby passin through » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:45 pm

I got to put down an  axis doe caught in a fence that a rancher friend found.  he gave me the meat and the hide which i had tanned.  This by far is the best wild meat I have ever tried.
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:18 am

Thanks for that bit of info Passing Through....now I definitely want to take one..I'm thinking backstraps mesquite grilled...gotta be delicious!!!

passin through

Postby passin through » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:01 am

Slice those straps into 2-3inch steaks and butterfly them....then sear them in a black iron skillet with butter....then grill
You will not be disappointed!! 
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:55 am

Will do, sounds tasty...now I just gotta bag me one of them Axis Deer!!!

Return to All About Deer Sign