Sheds?

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
coach

RE: Sheds?

Postby coach » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:20 am

I once shot a nice little buck....it was a bad shot....but still deadly.
I say deadly cause i found him the following year, about a mile further while I was doing a push for the guys.  It was a dark coloured rack....10 points(small).......even perfect rack. Still ran ...maybe not a mile....maybe half a mile and expired in the swamp.

Regardless if you find it are not.........Still an AMAZING DEER.
thanks for sharing it.
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:40 am

I have no idea of the cost, but you may want to consider getting a replica (based on the left side) made for the right side.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:44 am

I went out looking for sheds today with no luck. I saw a couple on my deer cam that had lost their antlers so I figured I would give it a shot since it was a nice day. I walk all over trails, to bedding areas, to feeding areas and in the thickest stuff but never have any luck.

Washburn

Postby Washburn » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:06 am

ORIGINAL: curtis
 His left leg had been shot 6inches off the hoof. Im not sure how far we should be searching from where i killed him, would his leg limit his travel routine and how long do you figure the shed had been off??????????????????

An injury to a hind leg will often result in damage to the opposite corresponding antler. That is, an injured left hind leg will often manifest itself by a poorly or under developed right antler. This normally happens when a buck sustains an injured leg prior to or during antler development.

I am not an expert, and am not sure how this type of leg injury might affect a normally formed antler. However, it might result in the buck dropping the antler much earlier than normal. If so, your buck may have dropped that right antler long before you shot him.

Good luck in your search.

Washburn
"As the light grows dimmer and the trail begins to fade, my sweetest dreams are those of yesteryear, at deer camp."

curtis

Postby curtis » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:10 pm

i appreciate all the helpfull information, i guess it comes down to putting in the time and i may get lucky.

cruiserdebo

Postby cruiserdebo » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:32 am

Massive deer. hope you find the other side. if not still a nice deer & great conersation starter, or debate on how big that deer really was !!!
you go up on that ridge and I'll go down in the swamp....

rweyman

Postby rweyman » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:32 am

My brother-in-law found this shed somewhere in N. Ky this past week. I green scored it at 72". Would love to know where he found it, but he's keeping it to himself for some reason!

rweyman

Postby rweyman » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:34 am

Sorry, I thought I embedded the pic , but i guess it didn't work.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:12 am

I'd sure like to know how to find sheds better than I do now. Here in Pennsylvania it has been very difficult, probably for a couple of reasons:

(1.) Back in the days before the Antler Restriction regulations, few deer got very large antlers, and it was so easy for the spikes and forkies to get covered up by leaves, or quickly eaten all up by rodents.
(2.) The deer here seem to be changing their bedding habits all the time, so they're not concentrated enough to give us a good chance of finding antlers.

Once when I was a kid I was grouse hunting with a neighbor and was standing beside him when he reached down and picked up a 4-point antler. (That's the antler in the logo I use for my avatar.) But it was years before I found a shed antler myself. When I did, I found 5 of them in about a 2-hour period. I happened to find a place where deer were feeding heavily. One of them was the all-time B&C Number One shed (for smallness.) It was nothing but a burr -- the antler had been broken off and there was nothing left but the burr for the deer to shed. I also find a broken tine that day, and 3 spikes. My best find was during spring turkey season a few years ago when I found where a deer had shed his whole head -- the rack had 10 points.

Speaking of small ones, a game warden here (recently died at age 97) once showed me a 1" spike he found while on the job. It was lying on top of an ant hill. I had it made into a tie tack for him.

I've found shed moose and caribou antlers in Alaska, but need to become more skilled at finding whitetail sheds here in PA. Right now we have way too much snow, but when the snow diminishes, I'll start looking.

Steve

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:56 pm

Here's a photo of that tiny shed antler my game warden friend found, prior to his retirement in 1972. Nice burr on that thing! -- at least, compared to the rest of the antler!

Steve

PreviousNext

Return to All About Deer Sign