Sheds?

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
Patriot

RE: Sheds?

Postby Patriot » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:34 pm

Steve,
Too bad he didn't find the other side.  Would have made a great set of rattling horns!  I can hear it now...tick...tick...tick.[:D][:D][:D]
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:29 pm

ORIGINAL: Patriot

Too bad he didn't find the other side.  Would have made a great set of rattling horns!  I can hear it now...tick...tick...tick.[:D][:D][:D]

Yep. That'd call in the big ones!

Steve

LBbmoore

Postby LBbmoore » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:15 pm

Whats up dude congrats on your deer man. If you havn't found that shed yet I've got a couple of tips for you. Deer shed their antlers a couple different ways, but if there is a thicket or thick brush around where you killed him that antler should be in there. When bucks shed their antlers it causes discomfort and they will rub on small trees and brush to lose the antler. You don't have much time because squirrels like to knaw on them. Follow the trail you thought he came down and look hard man. If not a taxidermis could make a replica for you. Good luck and nice buck.
                                                                                                          keep it up: Brad Moore

whubbard

Postby whubbard » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:17 am

Riding around in west Tenn. this morning and saw a large group of deer in a winter wheat field.  I stopped to glass.  13 in all and three looked to be bucks.  I say looked to be b/c none had horns.  Three were definitely larger than the other ten which leads me to believe that they have lost their horns in my neck of the woods.  SE Missouri and NE Arkansas and W Tenn. area.  Good luck hunting.  Going to go for my first antler walks with my wife next sat.  I have to admit she doesn't know that I'm looking for antlers.  I told her it could be a great way for us to spend some quality time together while getting some excercise.  She ate it up.  Hope it turns into a winter ritual.  Happy Horn Hunting.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:35 am

A buddy and I wandered around some local public hunting land for 3 hours yesterday.  No sheds, but the time spent was well worth it.

Jdbllung

Postby Jdbllung » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:58 pm

Planned on shed hunting this weekend, but the temp took a nose dive from 40s to teens, everything slick and icy.  Going next weekend to put cams back up and start to get a survivor count, might shed hunt if its not too slick.
Happiness is a good blood trail! Jeremy W.

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:08 pm

Thats too bad Patriot, did you guy's learn anything though?
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:24 pm

We did learn some good spots for next year.  With the area swamp frozen over, we were able to really explore a good chunk of the property.

We also discovered the main trails taken from the bedding area to the wooded area.  My feeling is the few acorn trees in the woods act as a staging area between the swamp and local agricultural fields.

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:47 am

Your probably right, thats what I love about shed hunting, you can learn so much about their behavior, rutting activity(rubs and scrapes), how the use the lay of the land, how they avoid some stands and so on...
And don't forget you can learn some human behavior too, where people were hunting and so on...
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:57 pm

Saw three bucks today while hunting coyotes, all still had their antlers, one was a half rack but it got knocked off in November. (I saw him on three consective days while bowhunting.  day one both sides decent 2 year old, day two both sides but right side hanging down below ear,  day three only the left side remains.)  They were all were 2year olds that I reluctantly passed up during bow season.  Now I'm glad I did they all made it and  they're still hanging out in the same place as they were during the fall.  I know where I'll be set up in October.  
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

PreviousNext

Return to All About Deer Sign