Sheds?

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
gunther89

RE: Sheds?

Postby gunther89 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:27 pm

Congrats on the find, sounds like you 2 had a blast.  Family bonding at its finest!!
Scott

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:45 pm

ORIGINAL: gunther89

Congrats on the find, sounds like you 2 had a blast.  Family bonding at its finest!!

Ditto that. That young lady is ahead of me. I've been out twice looking for sheds, and haven't found one yet. Today I was in the middle of a bedding area in thorn brush. Deer trails and deer droppings were everywhere I stepped. Never found an antler.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

MDV WI hunter

Postby MDV WI hunter » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:38 am

Some great pics in this thread.  I've been searching for about two weeks but no luck.  I did come across a skull, no horns though.  Like previously said, each time I'm out there I pick up something about their patterns.  I found a very big, long and old rub line.  Trees at least 6"-8'' in diameter ranging from pretty fresh to what appears to be years old.  I plan to hunt that line this year as it leads to a couple of apple trees and I have a good vantage point in an old oak tree nearby.

Kid in a candy store!!
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:57 am

I left the farm house (in laws) at 10am this last Saturday and got back at 3:30pm.  No sheds, but I sure covered a lot of ground (all on foot).

I found a deer carcass, kicked up about 15 deer, found lots of beds and trails.

The recent 8 inch snowfall hindered the shed finding, but I didn't care.  It was a great day just to be outside!

I'll be out there again in 3 weeks and by golly, I'm going to find some sheds!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

coach

Postby coach » Sun May 03, 2009 3:43 pm

Well, I just came back from the hunt camp.   It was cold...but nice weather to work, chop wood..ect.
Yesterday afternoon, my uncle Bill and I decided to go and check for sheds.
I know a spot, where we always seem to find sheds.

We walked for about 1.5 hours, when uncle Bill finds a nice shed, 50% covered by branches and leaves.
It was a shed that was dropped last year.  We walked about 70 yards and we find another big shed.
This one was dropped this year.  I am pretty sure its the same deer.  What do you guys think.
From last year to this year the only main difference is that he now has a split G2.  Do you guys thinks its the same deer.
Here's a couple of pics.  The one on the right being last year's shed.

Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

lonlon

Postby lonlon » Sun May 03, 2009 4:23 pm

Last pic looks to me like a confirmation, shed hunting lis ike looking for a bit of history. I found a spike and half of a small ten point yesterday, than my friend calls and said he found one along his rock fence row around his house while mowing for the first time this year. That puts us over 70(71) for the first time ever!

Previous

Return to All About Deer Sign