Sailfish

RE: How to find Bedding areas

Postby Sailfish » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:22 am

Great thread and information!
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Bob Olsen

Postby Bob Olsen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:19 am

I know of one bedding area on my farm. It faces my trailer and the house next door where they have a couple dogs. It has a little slope to it, so I guess the Deer can get a whiff of Southwest wind. When we go out in the a.m. I'm sure the Deer see us coming and "Split" Also, just this year I've noticed Deer going into the Pines next door where nobody hunts. If you can plant some native grasses like Swichgrass, Indiangrss and you let me know where you planted it I'll tell you where the Deer are bedding on your farm. Maybe the D.N.R. can help.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:27 am

Really good post.....I have been out for the last few years and have confirmed what I previously thought....unless a buck drops very early...I'm never going to find a shed....lol....our place is spring ...summer...fall...when winter hits and the snow gets deeper than 8-12 in....we don't see them un less they are walking through...we have swamps border us on one side and 5 pine plantings the DEC planted back in the 50's surrounding the rest of our place....also 2 miles away the outlet to a several mile long lake....but when they are here...and the doe groups....they tend to bed every where during the early morning to late afternoon...buck beds I look for lrg flattened areas that smell of urine ...or have pellets in them...the doe beds usually have smaller beds next to or a few feet away....every winter we loose one or more lrg trees due to wind....they'll use those all summer and they do love the bramble patches...there is an open field next to us...they feed there in the mornings and evenings and that is a favorite bedding area at night...they can watch us...the neighbors...the road...and stay several hundred feet away from the woods that are to their west and north 

Previous

Return to All About Deer Sign