antler transplants

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
vipermann7

antler transplants

Postby vipermann7 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:41 pm

I read a couple weeks ago that in the 70's or 80's an experiment was done where the antler pedicle of a deer was transplanted to the deer's leg and it grew a small antler on that spot. I was reading more tonight, and read about more experiments just like that, where they grafted to areas all over the body, including the ear, back, nose, legs, and hind end. some places produced antler, some did not.

I was kinda shocked to read, however, that among these experiments, they actually transplanted some pedicle right on to the eye ball of a deer! FYI, it actually did grow a tiny antler. Anyway, I'm not sure how surprised I should be that someone tried that, I just thought it was a little farther than what needed to be done. I mean really, growing antler on the eye ball? Too crazy for me. That was the 80's, so I'm not sure if such experiments would happen in today's world governed by PETA. I'm all about a little research to further our understanding of the world, but was it really necessary to put an antler in the deer's eye ball? I'm also not criticizing, I just thought it was crazy is all.
And just so no on thinks I'm B.S.ing here, the book I just read that in is called "Horns, Pronghorns, and Antlers", edited by George and Anthony Bubenik. It's an expensive book to buy, it's basically a text book, but I was able to find it in the library. Not for the casual reader, but I've been trying to research some very specific antler topics and so such a book has turned out to be handy. Anyway, just wanted to share something a little crazy that I learned today.

Woods Walker

RE: antler transplants

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:09 pm

WOW! The antler addicts and the TDM types should be in nirvanna with this information!

Now they can grow their "trophys" right in the lab on almost any deer they want....wait....why does it even have to be a deer at all?  It's the antlers that count!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:03 pm

i hear ya. i guess all ya need is some pedicle and something to "plant" it on. hell, we could probably just start growing them on our own heads!

coach

Postby coach » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:03 pm

I understand that people want to learn more about deer.  But that is simply stupid.
Who pays their salaries anyways ?

Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

Return to All About Deer Sign