Rattling anyone

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
charlie 01

Rattling anyone

Postby charlie 01 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:30 am

Was wondering if anyone has had any success antler rattling? For me, so far this season rattling has been a disappointment. A spike and a basket 10. Don't know if it's the weather,(so warm) or my timing. In past years, by this time I had all kinds of action. Hopefully, things are yet to come.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

extrmhntr

RE: Rattling anyone

Postby extrmhntr » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:13 pm

Rattling has been hit and miss so far this year on my property. We have 3 nice 130 to 145 class bucks but none of them has responded to the horns. Like you all we've had is a pretty 6 point come in to the challenge. The weather has been awful here so i'm guessing its just that taking its toll at the moment. I've only seen a hand full of does that have come into heat around here and the ones that are have a buck on them tight. This week the weather is supposed to get a bit more stable so hopefully it'll get the deer moving and getting aggressive.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:58 am

Charlie I think all your deer are on your wall, you might need to give your place a timeout ! lol[:)]
ORIGINAL: charlie 01

Was wondering if anyone has had any success antler rattling? For me, so far this season rattling has been a disappointment. A spike and a basket 10. Don't know if it's the weather,(so warm) or my timing. In past years, by this time I had all kinds of action. Hopefully, things are yet to come.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:57 am

You only live once Gulfcapt. There is plenty more out there. Got to go for it all. My goal is a booner. Closest I've gotten is 158 5/8, all bowhunting. Love it.
never say never

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:31 am

Gulfcapt, you have only seen one wall. That wall has only two.

ORIGINAL: Gulfcapt

Charlie I think all your deer are on your wall, you might need to give your place a timeout ! lol[:)]
ORIGINAL: charlie 01

never say never

Bowriter

Re: Rattling anyone

Postby Bowriter » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:50 pm

I have had quite a bitof success rattling and havebeen at for about 35-years. Early in the year, when thebucks are still in bachelor groups is one of my best times. Of course, during that period, I am lightly sparring. One thing to keep in mind, you probably only see 50% of the bucks that respond and the older they are, the less likely you are to see one.

axforbes

Postby axforbes » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:24 pm

Hey, you guys seem to know a lot about rattling so if you don't mind I'd appreciate it if could answer some of my questions. First when do you guys rattle, or does it matter, pre-rut, rut, secondary rut? Also I live in Northern Vermont and the deer we have around here are small, our does greatly outnumber bucks, and there are few deer to begin with. In these type of conditions is it still worth rattling or will it just scare off more pressured, smaller, timid bucks?

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:32 am

I don't bother rattling. Grunts and bleats pull them in better than anything else for me. Occasional snort wheeze to the old cocky buck who is too busy to check out a simple grunt or bleat...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:41 am

axforbes wrote:Hey, you guys seem to know a lot about rattling so if you don't mind I'd appreciate it if could answer some of my questions. First when do you guys rattle, or does it matter, pre-rut, rut, secondary rut? Also I live in Northern Vermont and the deer we have around here are small, our does greatly outnumber bucks, and there are few deer to begin with. In these type of conditions is it still worth rattling or will it just scare off more pressured, smaller, timid bucks?

Do you hunt big woods? I would recommend reading a couple books on big woods deer hunting. It's very different from deer hunting that you see on tv or hear most guys speak of. I would be tracking in the snow, or getting near clear cuts or swamps when it's dry ground. Big woods has lower deer numbers, sitting in one spot you will see very few deer. If I were you I would hone my skills at tracking, stalking, still hunting and keying in on buck bedding areas. I wouldn't bother investing too much time rattling or sitting in the woods. There are some real big bucks where you hunt, don't kid yourself.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

hd_dude63

Postby hd_dude63 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:32 pm

Bucks usually sort out their pecking order in the summer months. Rattling works best where doe populations aren't over abundant and you have mature bucks on your property. Grunting and doe bleats have always worked better for me.

Return to All About Deer Sign