Hunting freshley logged area

If you used our old forum, please read this ...
TWAGS

Hunting freshley logged area

Postby TWAGS » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:45 am

I went to scout out my regular hunting area up near mille lacs lake this last weekend. The trees that I have hunted the last 15 years were cut down last week. They left trees every 100 feet or so, and left all of the tree tops on the ground. They cut all the way up to the swamp surrounding the area. There is still a lot of trees to the north and east, but the west and south is all swamp. Are the deer going to stay away since it is so fresh?
Is it worth hunting, or should I find a new area. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

rthomas4

Re: Hunting freshley logged area

Postby rthomas4 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:58 am

Those tree tops will provide cover and some of 'em might provide browse, depending on what species of tree they are. Usually during cold weather, deer like to lie down during the day in a fresh cut over since it allows them to get the sun for warmth and the debris helps block the wind. I'd set up in an area where the travel routes to and from the swamp are located, and any areas that lead into prime feeding and bedding areas on the perimeter of the cut down. The deer might have altered their patterns while the timber was being cut, but usually within a few days of all the activity stopping, they will resume normal travel and feeding patterns. I'll tell you this, next year with the new growth that will come into the cut down, you should experience better action than prior to the timber being cut.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

TWAGS

Postby TWAGS » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:06 am

The trees that were cut were mainly oak and pine. So there should be acorns on the ground for them to find.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:56 pm

I agree with Rthomas on all that he said. About 15 years ago my neighbors on three sides of my 60 acre woods sold their timber rights. The woods surrounding mine was reduced to a few remaining trees and a jungle of tree tops. You could not reasonably walk into it with any intention of actually hunting it due the interlocking of all the tree tops. In the spring new growth began making it even thicker. As the years wore on the old wood began to decompose and the new growth became a haven for deer and we started seeing turkeys for the first time. It was difficult to hunt for the first few years due to the deer using it as an escape during the gun season, but later is was a haven for deer which would come into our woods to feed on acorns. We also have the only mature roosting trees in the area for turkeys.
Don't panic. Soon the deer will realize that it has created a sanctuary for them. All you have to do is figure out how they come and go and be there when they do. (It is not a simple problem to solve, as we all know, but the benefits out way the problem...good luck)
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Meules37

Postby Meules37 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:52 pm

Last year this happened to me. They started logging at the end of the summer near where I hunt, I set up my stand the first weekend in Nov. I came back for the opener three weeks later and the area where I hunt was completely logged out, right up to a swamp to the north and west of me. They left the tree that my ladder stand was on, and about 100 others in about a 15 acre area. I went from seing about 40 yards around me to seeing about 400 yards around me. As you are, I was very skeptical about how this would affect hunting. Well, things were actually fine, I saw the most deer I have ever seen (it helps to be seeing about 1000% more area than I was before). The difficult walking and lack of trails really didn't affect the deer that much. We'll see what this year brings. The pictures below are from 2011 before the logging and 2012 after the logging. In the 2012 picture, the tree that is cut 5 feet from the ground had my trail camera on it, they cut right above it. That was nice of them. :D
Attachments
New1.jpg
New1.jpg (239.52 KiB) Viewed 2788 times
Old.jpg
Old.jpg (217.07 KiB) Viewed 2788 times
Last edited by Meules37 on Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:26 am

I must say it was exceptionally nice of them to leave your tree stand and camera intact. The loggers must have had a hunter or two in the group. In time it will get thicker than ever.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Meules37

Postby Meules37 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:09 pm

Yes, EXTREMELY nice and very lucky for me. In the spring I went back out to see what other logging they had done after hunting and they did even more to the north of me. They also came back and took down the tree I put my stand on. Had to find a new tree for this year. Here is what the tree that had my trail camera on looked like, looking back up to my stand.
Attachments
Cam.jpg
Cam.jpg (123.09 KiB) Viewed 2729 times

Return to NEW FORUM FAQ