String Loop First Timer

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
4khorn

String Loop First Timer

Postby 4khorn » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:13 am

Hey guys,

I got new strings and cables put on my bow last week and the shop pro also installed a string loop. I have never shot with one before and just wondered if there was anything different that I should be aware of. I already noticed that my draw length seems a bit too long. Thanks!
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

rmontez

Re: String Loop First Timer

Postby rmontez » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:40 pm

the length might be the only thing you really notice. If you don't feel comfortable with the look just take it off and put a string knock on it should be a simple fix.

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:55 pm

I read in a magazine that adding a string loop adds about half an inch to your draw length. I also read that overdrawing will adversely impact your form. That being said, I would think that you may want to visit with an experienced archer or archery shop to see if you should shorten your bows draw length by a half an inch to compensate for the string loop. Just a thought

Joel Spring

Postby Joel Spring » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:04 am

I recently started using them. When you're installing them, make sure you leave LESS slack than you think you'll need. Pull the bow back by the string release a few times and you'll be amazed how much it stretches from the original installation length. Once it's broken in with a half-dozen draws, it pretty much stays that size.

Yes, it does increase your draw length and change your shooting form a bit.

Take your time installing it (good videos on YouTube to show you how), and you'll probably enjoy it. It's definitely tightened up my groups.
Joel Spring
Longtime Deer & Deer Hunting Contributor
ruabirddog@aol.com

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:31 am

I agree Joel. I had a string loop put on my bow when I got a new bow. The biggest benefit from what I've heard is that it nearly eliminates string twist when you draw. Any torque you add by not having a perfectly straight draw is absorbed by the loop instead of your string. It helps you to shoot the same way every time.

It does make your draw a bit longer, but a lot of the newer releases can be adjusted. It may be easier and have less of an impact on your shot and form if you can change the length of the release instead of having to adjust draw length and such on your bow...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:23 pm

I first started to use a string loop last year. It was different at first but my shooting is way better now. Saves your serving less tear abuse from the release too.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Return to Archery and Bowhunting