Needing Deer Meat

scottflesher

Re: Needing Deer Meat

Postby scottflesher » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:01 pm

kellory, I hadn't heard about that law.
What would happen if you shot the deer, checked it in and then just gave the carcass to the person in need. They could do the skinning, cutting, etc?

Those types of laws need to be repealed. We've got bigger things to worry about in America than that. I could certainly see selling the meat, etc (as you'd be setting up a business and technically need to claim the sales as income). However giving venison to a food pantry/person in need, how is that against the greater good of society (which is what I intrepret as a law).

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:47 pm

For the longest time, you could not give wild game of any kind to an open shelter, as they were forbidden to accept it. It was not USDA approved meat. Safety guidelines were not met. Now, due to rule changes, you can donate the meat through a processor who has passed his inspection, and the group or shelter that want the meat will pay for the processing. Look up what happened at Sharon Woods Metro Park if you want the full story on this change. It would take quite a while to tell this story.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:59 pm

I appreciate you sharing and potentially keeping me out of trouble ;)

In my opinion, one of those silly laws. I can certainly understand how it would be illegal to give it to a shelter or illegal to have it sold in a store to public or served as a meal at a local resturant. However what's wrong with a non-hunter asking a friend that hunts, for deer meat? I know of plenty of folks who have done this in my community. Some of them just give the field dressed deer to the non-hunter and some actually process the deer (themselves) for the friend.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:04 pm

I personally see nothing wrong with it, however, due to chronic wasting desiece, and poachers, and to prevent it becoming a business, the powers that be don't like the idea if sharing the meat. It makes it much harder to regulate If CWD does show up, they don't want it spread out. For a short time, the meat had to retain the metal band that was added by the deer check station. No band, and the meat was suspect and could be seized if they thought a crime was involved. That band (similar to a bird band) was your proof that the deer had been properly checked through the system. I believe they have done away with the bands now. Did you look up what happened at the park? It is what happens when the parks service bow to animal rights groups!
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Previous

Return to Ohio