First Time Bow Hunting, Advise

largemouth19

First Time Bow Hunting, Advise

Postby largemouth19 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:03 pm

I am going to spend the last few days of my honeymoon bow hunting for the first time in the Weidman area. However, I currently live in Chicago (which I hate more than anything in this world and would give anything to find a job and move back to Michigan!) and can't really do any scouting. I have rifle hunted the same area for the past three years and know it pretty well. Between me and my buddies we have shot two six point (neither were me, QDM people) and 11 or so does. I have two areas I can hunt, one a huge agricultural field, and the other a swampy/thick forested area where two rivers join into one, but is very small. They do butt up to each other though, which is a plus. I have several stands up for rifle already and I know to read the wind but other than that I am lost! I know some of the deer move through the swamp and into the field but I don't know where they are bedding or moving from before that. Is baiting a good idea here (I know, I know)? Where should I start? Where should I finish? There is just so much for a newbie to process, AAAHHHH!!!! I tired to upload an aerial photo but it wouldn't let me.

mhouck06

Re: First Time Bow Hunting, Advise

Postby mhouck06 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:04 am

If you have rifle hunted there before... maybe you have an idea of where some in woods food sources are? That would be a good place to start. Are there any land features or fences that influence deer to use a certain entry to the field? Here in PA, it is rare to hunt near or on fields in archery and see many deer before dark. I usually go back into the woods a decent ways and try to find some in woods food sources that have a couple trails. I usually start my scouting from there, but since you dont have the opportunity to scout, I would start hunting there. Personally I would shy away from the field unless you know they are entering it before dark. These spots generally work well for me in the morning too. Entering and exiting the stand could make or break your trip too. Make sure that you have a solid entry and exit plan for whatever stand you hunt. If you only have a few days to hunt, I would make sure I was in the stand dark to dark. I have had a lot of mid day encounters in all phases of the season.

I do not know if you have access to trail cams, but when we hunt neighboring states, we usually take a day or two to head out and scout and hang some cameras. For you, if you can afford to take a day and go out and hang a camera or two.. it would be a big help, that way when you get there you have some sort of idea of whats going on. This could save you from sitting all day in a stand that isnt that hot. I dont know how far you are from where you are talking about hunting, but if you know the lay of the land already.. it would probably be a short easy trip to go hang the cameras.

Good luck!

westmibow

Postby westmibow » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:07 am

Totally agree. Field edges are ok if you have patterned a buck and you know he is coming out before dark, but without scouting the property or using trail cameras you don't know that. I would lean towards the swampy, wooded areas of the property. Also, look at the ariel photo of it and look for pinch points or funnels. This could be where one of the rivers runs near a field or corners of properties, etc. Are those rivers big? If they are more like creeks look for crossings and set up downwind. If your going to sit all day then you definatly want to be back away from the fields.

Try to get an ariel photo posted and it will be much easier for us to give advise.

largemouth19

Postby largemouth19 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:34 am

Yeah the rivers are pretty big; if you know the area at all it's where six lakes branch joins the main branch of the Chippewa River. But I have seen deer swim across there many times, it’s shallow enough that we use hip waders and get across just fine. It’s actually hard to find good trails in there though because one, even late in the fall the ground can still have standing water in some places, two there are trails EVERY where. I think the deer are coming out of the woods to the north, through or around a small field of grass, through the swamp, and head out into the ag field. The furthest my property gets from the field is a quarter mile but then I am against two none agricultural fields, that I can't hunt. It’s a weird spot, ag field to the west, small grass field to the north, small grass field to the east and across the road another area of swampy/forest. There are lots of does in there, I have seen a group of twenty or more on opening day of rifle, I just want to find that one good buck.

Also my hunting land is a five hour drive from Chicago. I go there every three to four months but I will be there several times in the next few months. Once at the end of August, my wedding is there the end of September (can't do much then though lol), the beginning of October for a few days for bow and then hopefully the weekend after opening day of rifle in November. I don't have any trial cameras at the moment, just can't afford them, but I have been seriously considering it lately.

How do you attach photos? I tried several different formats and it wouldn't let me.

largemouth19

Postby largemouth19 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:34 pm

IT'S A MIRACLE!!! I have been trying for weeks to get this photo uploaded. Quick run down, Up is North (Duh), there is mostly agricultural fields on both sides to the East and West with very lite patches of woods but a chain of small lakes to the Northwest. It is "heavier", not heavy, wooded to the North and mostly agriculture to the South with patches of woods. The farm Northeast of the river (not outlined) is also mine ( the road you see splits the properties). There are some dots to mark current/past stand or blind sites and the blue lines mark distance (0.5 mile North/South 1.0 mile East/West). Let me know what you all think and if this helps! I am going there this weekend to make my last preparations!
Attachments
hunting 01.JPG
hunting 01.JPG (207.76 KiB) Viewed 2496 times

Return to Michigan