String Silencer Question

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
windsor

String Silencer Question

Postby windsor » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:20 pm

I have an older bow that I bought used last November. Its a Browning Rage. It currently has rubber string silencers that are in the string above and below the nocking point. I just bought a set of bowjax limb dampeners and would like to remove the old rubber silencers, can I do this? Will removing the rubber silencers screw up the string?

DBogie59

Re: String Silencer Question

Postby DBogie59 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:19 pm

Changing the string wiskers won't hurt. It's done all the time. It could affect the sighting in of the bow. The string could be stretched tighter or looser. Just be sure to use a bow press, the string is under a lot of tension. i just changed mine this year from the old fleece whiskers to the bojax and it worked fine. I was changing the sight anyway.

windsor

Postby windsor » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:31 pm

Thanks for the reply. I ended up pulling the old rubber silencers out. I did not replace them. I shot the bow after making the adjustment and dont see any difference in accuracy. The bow is slightly louder, but I'm hoping the bowjax on the limbs will dampen the noise once I put them on. If the bow is not quiet enough after i add the limb dampeners, I'll add the string silencers again.

jmp51483

Postby jmp51483 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:15 pm

If you ever decide to put silencers back on your bow, definitely check out X-factor. I went through many different types of silencers before finding these guys... definitely worth the money!
Weekly meetings @ http://www.antleraddiction.net and I'm still not over it!

Elite GT-500 - Archery
Savage .308 - Rifle

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:13 pm

You can get creative and make your own string silencers. About 40yrs ago I bought a skein (thats a bundle) of kniting yarn. From recurves to now-a-days that is all I have ever used as string silencers. They do work great. Cut 10 to 15, 4" pieces, tie them together at center, open or spread bow string and pull half way through. Only real drawback is that stickers collect on them. But can be combed out or just replace.
Img_1719.jpg
Img_1719.jpg (40.43 KiB) Viewed 815 times
Img_1720.jpg
Img_1720.jpg (40.55 KiB) Viewed 815 times
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Return to Archery and Bowhunting