Root System Backdrop

Share your tips and techniques on these great, but often times lost methods of hunting.
tonybow

Root System Backdrop

Postby tonybow » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:30 am

I've been doing the ground hunting thing a couple years, mostly building blinds out of the surrounding brush and fallen branches. Just yesterday, was out scouting in our nearby public "big woods" and spotted a couple huge downed trees, with uprooted root systems so large, they create a big wall I could literally stand against with my back to them. With recent rains they currently look very black, but during a dry week, they will likely look more brown. Anyone here ever use this as your "ground blind"?

tonybow

Re: Root System Backdrop

Postby tonybow » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:31 pm

I guess what I'm really asking about this gigantic root system is: if I do not have much, if any, side cover, does anyone think I could blend into this garage-door sized tree root system? It's so big, it looks like it to me, but maybe just wishful thinking on my part.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:01 pm

I don't see why you couldn't. After all, it IS a solid backdrop, and what you don't want is to be skylined.

Is there any contrast is color hues (not specific colors, but darks to lights), and/or texture contrast? Anything that helps break up your outline and mask any movement is vital.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

jmp51483

Postby jmp51483 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:19 pm

Absolutely! I say go for it... If you don't blend in well just take some brush and stack it up behind you... I think you'll be fine though.
Weekly meetings @ http://www.antleraddiction.net and I'm still not over it!

Elite GT-500 - Archery
Savage .308 - Rifle

tonybow

Postby tonybow » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:02 pm

Thanks for the input guys;. I will report back during the season! Look for my other question, coming right up.

Return to Ground Hunting, Still Hunting, and Stalking