Setting up the ground blinds.

Share your tips and techniques on these great, but often times lost methods of hunting.
tonybow

Setting up the ground blinds.

Postby tonybow » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:19 pm

OK, so I've been picking out at least 8 potential ground blinds for the suburban bowhunt, which occurs in two town parks, both of which contain hiking and biking trails for humans. These parks are 240 and 160 acres each. I try to get as far from the human trails as possible. Two season ago, got my first buck, and later realized that I was hunting only 20 paces parallel to a human hiking trail(I think the deer thought the last human had just gone home!) Whenever I have visited this off season, I've tried to separate my visit to any one blind by at least a month or two. Now that we only have about 6 weeks until the opener, any advice on how often to visit blinds for some last minute brushing-in or shooting land prep? Obviously, the deer are used to hearing, seeing, and smelling people, but hopefully not too often at my off-trail ambush sites.

Woods Walker

Re: Setting up the ground blinds.

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:32 pm

Well first off, you should have not waited as long as you did to brush them in. Not a deal breaker mind you, but the earlier you are done messing around in there the better. Next, when you do go in to brush them, try to do it on a rainy day, or a just before a good rain to wash away any of your scent. I would also make darn sure that the next trip you make to them is the last trip you make until you are actually hunting them.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

tonybow

Re: Setting up the ground blinds.

Postby tonybow » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:00 am

Great advice. I've actually done some brushing in, but I often think that I could do better. Plus, it is hard to stay away! I guess I can wait to trim any late summer overgrowth from a potential shooting lane until I am actually walking in for the hunt. Tough to stay away, but you are correct in telling me to do so ;) Appreciate your input.

Return to Ground Hunting, Still Hunting, and Stalking