Skull painting

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
motorbreaker

Skull painting

Postby motorbreaker » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:40 am

A buddy of mine painted up this skull I found last year. I didnt expect him to paint the antlers.
i thought it turned out pretty cool. He is doing me one in Michigan colors now, But I told him
not to paint the antlers.
What do you guys think?
Attachments
Buckeye.JPG
Buckeye.JPG (195.55 KiB) Viewed 1511 times
Jake

kellory

Re: Skull painting

Postby kellory » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:29 am

To each his own, but I would not do it. Seems a bit disrespectful. But I am not a sports nut. To you, it might be the highest honor to award that deer your colors. Reminds me of drunken college frat boys, passed out on the front lawn. When I see sports logos everywhere I look, it feels like being adrift in a sea of sloppy drunks,because sports fans can be nuts, And logo regulations can cause you problems as well. If you match the official logo, and someone sees it (on your own stuff, and by your own hand mind you) they can go after you for copyright infringement. If you are making money at it, they will shut you down and sue you. Sports logos are big business. They do not allow any competition. Or some idiot might smash your deer skull, because it has the wrong logo, and their team just lost a point. Sports fans are the closest thing you can get to a mob mentality, without a riot.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

motorbreaker

Postby motorbreaker » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:45 pm

kellory wrote:To each his own, but I would not do it. Seems a bit disrespectful. But I am not a sports nut. To you, it might be the highest honor to award that deer your colors. Reminds me of drunken college frat boys, passed out on the front lawn. When I see sports logos everywhere I look, it feels like being adrift in a sea of sloppy drunks,because sports fans can be nuts, And logo regulations can cause you problems as well. If you match the official logo, and someone sees it (on your own stuff, and by your own hand mind you) they can go after you for copyright infringement. If you are making money at it, they will shut you down and sue you. Sports logos are big business. They do not allow any competition. Or some idiot might smash your deer skull, because it has the wrong logo, and their team just lost a point. Sports fans are the closest thing you can get to a mob mentality, without a riot.

Are you crazy? I think you drank to many!!!!!
Jake

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:41 pm

I call 'em as I see 'em.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:09 pm

You can chrome an antler or two. I take aluminum foil, wrap layers and keep rubbing it until it is all smooth. I am saving gold colored foil to make a golden antler.
Img_1431.jpg
Img_1431.jpg (28.68 KiB) Viewed 1444 times
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:17 pm

I like the silver shed. Is that actual aluminum foil on the antler when it is finished? Is it on there permanently?
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:20 pm

Well, that's mighty purty, but don't you think it will affect the sound when you are trying to rattle in that Cristmas buck? ;)

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:19 pm

Ohio farms wrote:I like the silver shed. Is that actual aluminum foil on the antler when it is finished? Is it on there permanently?

Yes all foil. Yes permanent, Just keep rubbing it hard and it gets all rubbed in together and smooth. Just regular aluminum foil from the store. That antler was bleached and had some chews on it. Makes a nice conversation piece.
never say never

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:21 pm

kellory wrote:Well, that's mighty purty, but don't you think it will affect the sound when you are trying to rattle in that Cristmas buck? ;)

Actually, it's the shinyness that brings them in.
never say never

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:48 pm

No, you tease deer, it's turkeys you dazzle.

Return to Photo Corner