91% of Deer Hunters Never Took a Bush Plane

Share the trips you've taken for better or worse, where you like to go, where you don't like to go and how you got there.
Ben Sobieck

91% of Deer Hunters Never Took a Bush Plane

Postby Ben Sobieck » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:35 am

The results of the deeranddeerhunting.com indicate 91% of deer hunters have never got in a bush plane to get to deer camp. For those who have been in one of these small planes, what was it like?

Everyday Hunter

RE: 91% of Deer Hunters Never Took a Bush Plane

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:39 pm

I didn't answer the poll because I've never used a bush plane for deer hunting, but I have for moose hunting. We flew 50 miles out into the bush. It's a little like an amusement park ride, without the feeling of safety. Image

We were permitted 50 pounds of gear (that included everything -- camping stove, tent, food, extra clothing, camera, etc.), plus what we were wearing and our rifles. Each Super Cub (we used two) hauled one passenger plus his gear. You sit wedged into the back seat with your knees on each side of the pilot and your gear behind you. The take-offs were fairly smooth, but the landings felt a little dicey. These little planes are very subject to wind, and on an Alaskan mountaintop you have to be careful that they don't get blown off. They're a little like a kite with an engine and balloon tires.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

DeanoZ

RE: 91% of Deer Hunters Never Took a Bush Plane

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:16 am

ORIGINAL: Everyday Hunter

I didn't answer the poll because I've never used a bush plane for deer hunting, but I have for moose hunting. We flew 50 miles out into the bush. It's a little like an amusement park ride, without the feeling of safety. Image

We were permitted 50 pounds of gear (that included everything -- camping stove, tent, food, extra clothing, camera, etc.), plus what we were wearing and our rifles. Each Super Cub (we used two) hauled one passenger plus his gear. You sit wedged into the back seat with your knees on each side of the pilot and your gear behind you. The take-offs were fairly smooth, but the landings felt a little dicey. These little planes are very subject to wind, and on an Alaskan mountaintop you have to be careful that they don't get blown off. They're a little like a kite with an engine and balloon tires.

Steve

does sound a bit dicey Steve...tell us more about the hunt...how did it go, what was your experience with that outfitter/guide..or was this a self guided hunt?  Alaska is on my hunting bucket list for sure!

Woods Walker

Re: 91% of Deer Hunters Never Took a Bush Plane

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:50 am

I would only go up in a small plane under two conditions........

1. There is MORE than one pilot.

2. If I don't go up in it I and stay on the ground I face immediate and painful death.

I look at it this way...a small boat I will go in, but not a small plane. I can swim just fine. I can't FLY! :o

Same thing goes for voluntary skydiving. The ONLY way I will jump form a perfectly good airplane is if it's going down in a death dive, or it's on fire. Other than that, they'd better have a cutting torch or a big set of wrenches to disconnect the part of the plane that my hands are latched on to so they can throw me out the door!!!
Last edited by Woods Walker on Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:14 pm

WoodsWalker, that reminds me of the Airbourne recriut who refused to jump. His jump master told him "You will jump, or I will bend you over and make you my woman!" When the recriut got back to base, he was asked by his team mates what happened. "Did you jump?" He answered, "A little at first."
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:43 am

LMAO!!!! That's a good one Kell!!!! :lol:
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

bobow

Postby bobow » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:12 pm

I have not been in a bush plane for deer camp but have flown many times in small planes. When my father was alive, we took a Beech Twin to AZ & to me, it is the only way to travel.

I have had a couple of rides in a Cessna recently to meetings in Indy & it is still my preferred way to fly. I hate airline travel especially with the security. Small private planes? None whatsoever! It makes traveling with a firearm so much easier! 8-)
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:00 pm

Good to know, Muhommud and Abdul will be pleased. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Return to Hunting Destinations