2011 MN Hunting Reports

Blake Dandurand

2011 MN Hunting Reports

Postby Blake Dandurand » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:36 pm

Haven't seen anything up yet about posting what is going on in MN with season progress. So what are you guys seeing out there? Any hard antlered bucks yet? Season is almost two weeks away, all you guys got stands prepped and bows tuned?
"Look what venison does to a goofy guitar player from Detroit? I'm going to be 54 this year and if I had any more energy I'd scare you."
- Ted Nugent

mnmaverick

Re: 2011 MN Hunting Reports

Postby mnmaverick » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:07 pm

Blake Dandurand wrote:Haven't seen anything up yet about posting what is going on in MN with season progress. So what are you guys seeing out there? Any hard antlered bucks yet? Season is almost two weeks away, all you guys got stands prepped and bows tuned?

I have 10 stands up on our 80 acres, with 2 acres of food plots in the ground. Lots of deer and a few nice bucks on camera, but no hard antlers as of mid-August. I won't be able to check until opener, so it will be a surprise! Got my new Mathews Z7 Xtreme tuned in last night...I bought a new HHA Ultra single pin sight this year, and let me tell you it is SWEET! I'm shooting darts at 60yds.

Blake Dandurand

Postby Blake Dandurand » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:17 pm

Reezen is shooting sharp, I have been out going up and down with the new climber figuring out the system to use when it is dark out. Getting good at setting up fast and quiet. My trail cam pics have been disappointing however. I only have a couple young 8 pointers on one piece I have been monitoring. I have several others I hunt but don't put out cameras. I stay out and hunt them really low impact, so hopefully the mature bucks are more plentiful. I am yet to see any velvet shedding, anybody seeing any? I have heard of a few reports. Two more weeks!
"Look what venison does to a goofy guitar player from Detroit? I'm going to be 54 this year and if I had any more energy I'd scare you."
- Ted Nugent

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:31 pm

I have 4 stands up on my 9 acres, two gravity feeders, cleaned out the two waterholes I dug in 3 years ago. I cut them into the hilside with french drains to catch runoff and channel it into the watering holes. By next year I hope to have a cascade cut in(stair stepped ) range pins are in place, shooting lanes have been cleared. I am adding oak saplings (red) to the property as soon as they are large emough to transplant with some chance of survival, and I have a lead on some white oak accorns for next years planting, Now it is time to sit back and let everything settle down, and wait for opening day. Good luck to all, and to all a good hunt! :)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

rjohannsen

Postby rjohannsen » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:02 pm

Opener is only 5 days away! We have some good bucks on the hitlists! MNMaverick and I have 2 specific bucks in SE MN we are aiming to get a whack at this weekend, and 2 more in WI the following weekend! We have tons of trail cam pics of a couple real nice 8 pointers and a couple of 9 pointers (one may be a 10, but waiting to see how long the crab claw is when velvet comes off). We're aiming for bucks that are 4 years old and 130" or bigger, so that does narrow down our hitlists a bit. We'll try to post some trail cam pics soon....or better yet, a pic of one of the big boys with a 2" Rage cut through his side this weekend! Happy....and safe....hunting!

USNavyChiefRet

Postby USNavyChiefRet » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

I have two stands set up at my daughter & son-in-laws, plus my climber and a blind. My blind from last year bit it hard this summer. It lasted all last fall/winter/spring till late this summer when a storm went through and dropped a large limb on it breaking two poles on two hubs. I got a replacement hub but they are now out of stock so I bought another blind. Haven't set it up yet though. I really prefer being up in a tree so I can see around. Maybe that six pointer has grown into an 8 by this year and he'll give me shot this year. Looking forward to it.
USNavyChiefRet

mnmaverick

Postby mnmaverick » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:41 am

Good luck guys! Only 2 days to go, and this crisp autumn weather has me itching to be in a tree!!!

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:16 pm

Today's highs in the mid 70's aren't the best, but I've had this day targeted for an evening hunt.

Wife and kids are busy tonight and my buddy is available to be my cameraman. We try to video journal our hunts...just for us...not for the masses.

This is who we are after, but I need meat in the freezer, so if a doe comes by....she'll get a free ride home with me!
Attachments
IMG_0702.JPG
IMG_0702.JPG (240.89 KiB) Viewed 3050 times
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

rjohannsen

Postby rjohannsen » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:12 pm

Nice buck, Patriot! I love trail cam pics...they truly help to narrow your hit list, and to give you hope on those cold days! I hope you get that buck! Good luck!

mnmaverick

Postby mnmaverick » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:25 am

I put my first doe of the season down on Tuesday night in Rochester -- a nice 1 1/2 yr old.

I was extremely lucky: on my first shot my string must have caught my mask, because the shot went about 6 ft left and stuck in the ground. The doe jumped and trotted off about 30 yds, but then got curious about my nockturnal that was lit up and came back and offered me a broadside 25 yd shot. The Rage put her down not 30 yds from where she was hit.

I have 4 shooter bucks on camera so looking forward to this colder weather and the end of October! Good luck to everyone!!!

Next

Return to Minnesota