Pretty Cool

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
Ohio farms

Re: Pretty Cool

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:14 pm

Are his antlers white because he is in velvet? The white antlers look really cool.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:54 pm

This is on a farm in SE Ohio. It's received alot of local publicity, however I haven't verified the authenticity of the story.
I too have never seen an albino deer with a white rack. Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a hoax.

It is legal to harvest an albino deer in Ohio. I was a full draw on a piebold deer a few years back, but it was a yearling and the doe saw me draw and I didn't get a shot.

freak nasty 145

Postby freak nasty 145 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:05 am

awsome deer!! Nice picture.
"Any sportsman who can kill his deer without the tingling spine, the quick clutch at his heart, the delicious trembling of nerve fibers when the game is finally down, has no place in the deer woods." Lawrence R. Koller. (1948).

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:40 am

Ohio farms wrote:Are his antlers white because he is in velvet? The white antlers look really cool.

I suspect that's the case. I look at it this way: a true albino has no skin pigment, so he wouldn't have any pigment in his velvet either. Once he sheds his velvet his antlers will be the same bone-color as any other buck. We see few good pictures of albino bucks, and even fewer of albino bucks in velvet, but I'd expect any albino buck to have white velvet.

If anyone can post other pictures of albino bucks in velvet, we might answer the question for sure.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:18 am

Here are a few I found by oogling. Er, Googling:

Image Image

The third one doesn't look all white. It's more pinkish, probably because of the blood.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:20 am

Here's one more -- this one doesn't appear to be white, so maybe they can go both ways:

Maybe a deer farmer could tell us for sure. Any deer farmers on here?

Steve

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:48 pm

The white antlers look almost spooky. Would make a beautiful mount.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:53 am

Beautiful!...neat it's so close to the house that the tree swing is in photo...but Steves right....those look like ear tags....does your state tag young deer for studies?

Ohhhh.... I remember a post here...got a tad heated I recall....about how All albinos are inferior and need to be taken out of the herds.... ;)....Well he doesn't look too inferior to me...and that rack indicates that predators didn't find him so either :)
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

sunshine2640

Postby sunshine2640 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:30 am

Not sure where these were taken but we have white deer in NY. They are called Piebald Deer. It's hard to tell if this is a Piebald or an albino deer...Either way, great photo! Thanks for sharing!

dkeller3181

Postby dkeller3181 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:00 pm

Hey guys these photos were taken by my wife! Not sure how they ended up on here. These were taken in Franklin, TN in our back yard. Not on a farm in Ohio. Friend me on facebook and you can see more. I have him on trail cam as well as some other pics!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 441&type=3

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Corner