Laundry Soap

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Proline

Re: Laundry Soap

Postby Proline » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:21 am

Istopped in the grocery store this morning and found several kinds that are unscented and contain no brightners. For $7 or $8 bucks you get enough to last for years! Gonna give it a try when NH opens next week. Will be washing clothes Monday.................

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:30 pm

Baking soda is cheap and works.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:25 am

I use All Free&Clear when I do use a detergent. It's scentless. That's the main thing you need to worry about. The UV-brightener thing is way over-hyped. Normally I just do everything in baking soda, but I have a few items that also see duty in Turkey season. They can get pretty gnarly. All Free&Clear does a good job. The other thing I'll use it for is blood staining.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

DanburyBowhunter

Postby DanburyBowhunter » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:45 am

I've read the research from the group in GA. While they did not 'prove' deer see UV the evidence that they do is strong. Guess I'm saying I don't want to chance it if I don't have to. Plus, when I started out bowhunting a few years ago I put some money into those UV killers and have spent way too much on the hunters laundry soap. Don't want to chance having wasted $$.

BTW, don't trust any scientist (or marketer more likely) who says 'we've proved it' unless they are talking about gravity, the Earth being round, or something along those lines.
It is a hard heart that kills. If your killer instincts are not clean and strong you will hesitate at the moment of truth.

Proline

Postby Proline » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:36 am

My wife use All free and clear. I looked at the bottle and does list brighteners if you care. I am going to buy one without brightners and dyes.

Tony Scavo

Postby Tony Scavo » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:12 am

Good post... I am going to try it...

Proline

Postby Proline » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:08 pm

Hunted Saturday with the unscented stuff from the grocery store. Had 3 does under me for a good 20 mins 12-20 yds. They didnt know I was there. Will be again this weekend.

tonybow

Postby tonybow » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:49 am

I see and hear a lot of references to baking soda. What are the thoughts on JUST baking soda, versus baking soda PLUS the unscented laundry soap?

DanburyBowhunter

Postby DanburyBowhunter » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:25 am

Let me preface this post with letting you know I am a chemist.

In order to get things truly clean, dirt and oil free, you need soap. This is because soap forces things that don't like water to to into the wash water and down the drain. Detergents stop things in water from redepositing on your clothing. Baking soda will help essentially working like a gentle oxygen bleach. So, I would recommend laundry detergent of some type. With or without baking soda I see no chemical/functional reason to say either way is better so personal choice should rule that one.
It is a hard heart that kills. If your killer instincts are not clean and strong you will hesitate at the moment of truth.

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:11 am

I have always used *atsko* brand detergent...4 bucks for 18washloads...i have never run out...usually 2or 3 seasons with one small container....i little cap full per big load...takes out blood...no-scent whatsoever...no-uv brightners...and it restores waterproof charcteristics...and than there is several that use the baking soda....

I did notice on *atsko* website they have bulk large containers of scent&dye free detergent with no uv brightners..that would be a bargain-

I have used the scent-killer/or hunters specialties brand.and noticed no odor,,but with needing 1/4 cup of liquid detregent it seemed pricey and didnt break down very well in the washer--just my 2cents- ;)

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices