peak scrape and rub activity?????

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
beaverman05

peak scrape and rub activity?????

Postby beaverman05 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:53 pm

I'm new to the site and so far I must say I love it.

I am wondering when is the peak times for scrape and rub activity? I like to hunt scrapes and rub lines because there are plenty around but knowing what dates during the pre-rut and peak-rut are best would go a long way towards being more successful!!

Also, is there a certain time period where bucks are fighting more often or is it just when two bucks are competing for the same doe at the same time???

Thanks guys and gals!!!

Woods Walker

Re: peak scrape and rub activity?????

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:12 pm

Welcome beav! Are you a trapper? Just wondering about your handle.

Anyway.............

The peak time for rut activity will vary according to your latitude. Here in northern Illinois, our pre-rut is pretty well under way by Halloween through the first week or so of November. Our peak rut is generally the middle of November through Thanksgiving. I do believe that D&DH usually has a chart or graph of when the peak rut times are nationwide.

I don't know where you live, but in Illinois what is probably just as important as the rut peaks and valleys is the status of the corn harvest. If it's wet year and most of the corn is still in all bets are off.

As far as fighting goes, that's more a function of the buck/doe ratio in your area. If it's lopsided in favor of the does, then buck fights are rare, because the have all they can handle chasing does. This will also affect your success calling or rattling. Most of the time (for me anyway), the success I've had rattling has been in the pre-rut, as the does are not ready yet but the boys are, and will come to the sounds of a buck fight probably more for curiosity than anything else.

Best of luck to you!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

beaverman05

Postby beaverman05 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:31 am

I am not a trapper although I've always been curious to try and actually think I'm going to follow and help a guy on his trap line this year... My home town high school's nickname and mascot were the beavers so i stoled it from there...

I hunt around south central Wisconsin so are rut shouldn't be off by too much. And I'm rather sure that peak rut in our area is early to mid november...

As far as rub's go... I know that theyre main purpose is to shed velvet which occurs late august early september but ive heard that some bucks will visit there old rub lines and continue to use them throughout the rut. Manily to strength there neck muscles for fighting is my best guess for there contiued use... So Im assuming that these rub lines are a good thing to hunt in pre rut then right???

With scrapes... I know there purpose and why bucks make and use them but I was wondering if there is like a peak scrape making period, most likely just before the rut. For example, if the peak rut is nov. 1st through nov. 15th then is peak scrape making oct. 15th through oct.31 ????

And thanks with the fighting and rattling help i guess i never thought about the doe to buck ratio when it comes to that... are doe to buck ratio is probally close to 1 to 1 or even heavy on the buck side because of hunting regs in our area... the last 5 years we had to earn a buck by shooting a doe first so a lot of the hunters i know including my self would shoot the first bald deer we saw so we could get a buck tag and then we would wait for a shooter buck and as with hunting goes a lot of us would eat tag soup because we pass on the littler bucks... this year though we can shoot either sex first so with opening day less than a month away im getting a little bit of buck fever i guess hahaha.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:48 am

The peak of the scrape making will be in the pre-rut. But the majority of those scrapes will never be used much, if at all, especially if they are on field edges. I like to use scrapes in conjunction with rub lines and funnels. In fact, over the years I've kind of refined my buck hunting strategy down to "find where the does are and that's where the bucks will be". That's not the only factor, but it's a primary one.

I also believe that while early rubbing is to remove velvet, a lot of the later rubs, especially along obvious "lines", are more of a signpost or territorial marker. I also don't believe that they do it to strengthen their neck muscles. The large necks that you see on rutting bucks is due to the increase in testosterone levels, and would occur whether they rubbed or not. That may be a side effect, but they don't think, "Hey! I need my daily neck work out today so I can be buff for the ladies!"

One more point.......while the bucks make the scrapes (although I have witnessed DOES opening scrapes on occasion), it's the does who determine which scrapes will be active. One more reason to focus on the ladies, especially when you see signs that they are coming into estrous.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

beaverman05

Postby beaverman05 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:27 am

Thanks for sharing your take on scrapes and rub lines

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:53 pm

I did see a small 6pt rubbing the hell out of a small tree, and I believe it was out of frustration, for near him was a large 10pt hearding a doe away from me after hearing my rattling. He was really working at it, that tree was waving all over. I have also seen some bucks work over a tree or bush and then proceed to my rattled area as if to prepare for a fight. Had one come to rattle that had leafy branches wrapped up in his antlers. They are all individuals as we are.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Bowriter

Postby Bowriter » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:56 am

The simple answer to your question is this: Scraping activity increases as the peak of the rut approaches and will decrease over a period of months, (yes months) until all rutting activity is over. However, some scrapes continue to be used all year. Next time you see a good scrape with a heavily worked overhanging branch, urinate in it and do so every time you go by that scrape. Watch what happens. :lol: I believe you will be surprised. Both bucks and does of all ages use some scrapes for communication all year.

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:20 pm

Peak scrape and rub activity is at night, period.

Don't primarily hunt scrapes or rubs if you want big bucks.

Primarily hunt funnels within or between pockets of cover.

If rubs and scrapes happen to be in these very areas, well that's cool I guess but doesn't matter either way.

Never sit by rubs or scrapes in open woods or on field edges, unless you are squirrel hunting...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:18 am

"Next time you see a good scrape with a heavily worked overhanging branch, urinate in it and do so every time you go by that scrape. Watch what happens."

How'd you get so smart? I've been saying that for years. It's works, it's cheap, extremely portable, and it comes with it's own multi-purpose applicator! :mrgreen:
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Return to All About Deer Sign