Deer Cart

Dylan

Deer Cart

Postby Dylan » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:44 am

Anyone ever used a deer cart?

The wife is trying to talk me into talking one of these out. To me it looks like a pain in the @ss but maybe better than a pain in the back.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=351879

RNC

Re: Deer Cart

Postby RNC » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:36 am

We started using one about 5 to 7 years ago and I wish we had started using them sooner. It is so much easier to get deer out of the woods and with my Dad getting older and he has had back surgery I can get our deer out without him having to over do it. Last fall we both tagged deer on the same morning. Dad's back was giving him some problem so we put both deer on the cart at the same time and I was able to roll the deer out without any issues and only making one trip.
Of course this is hard. It's supposed to be hard, thats what makes it great. If it was easy everyone would do it!

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:10 pm

Yes, I use one. Though I built my own from tube steel, and wheel chair quick release wheels. I used 1/8 inch cable for the bed like a net. It will carry a good bit of gear in and a deer out quite well. I tie it off to the back of my belt and being pretty well balanced, it rolls along behind me at just below hip hight. (Note; The bigger the wheels, the smoother the ride. and the easier to get accross branches or rocks) With a 300lbs man strapped to it, it takes one hand to balance and roll on concrete. Pop the wheels off, lay it flat and cover it with leaves, and it is gone! Easy to hide. If intrested let me know and I will post pics. ;)
Attachments
deercart flat.jpg
deercart flat.jpg (111.03 KiB) Viewed 2692 times
deercart quarter shot.jpg
deercart quarter shot.jpg (73.2 KiB) Viewed 2692 times
Last edited by kellory on Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:27 pm

I've used an Ameristep Grizzly cart the past 2 years. It's really easy to get a deer out by yourself. The biggest problem I ever face is getting the deer positioned on the cart initially. I use two straps to keep em in place. Don't let the legs stick out the side or you'll be dragging for sure. I sit my deer on their back, head up towards the top of the cart, with the front legs crossed behind the head. Looks like they're doing sit-ups. Strap the head to the cart and add another strap near the waist and you're good to go.

Dylan

Postby Dylan » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:53 pm

Hahaha. The back is making the decision for me! But don't tell the wife.

Kellory - that's great stuff.

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:30 pm

Dylan wrote:Hahaha. The back is making the decision for me! But don't tell the wife.

Kellory - that's great stuff.

My pleasure. Where are you located? I have another pair of wheelchair wheels...... ;) But store boughts are ready to roll now. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Return to Misc. Accessories