Illinois Hunting Journal 2011

4khorn

Illinois Hunting Journal 2011

Postby 4khorn » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:07 pm

It sure has felt like fall these past couple days, thus increasing my excitement for the months ahead. It won't be long before we are back at home in the deer woods and I thought it was as good a time as any to get this journal started. I really enjoyed sharing the season with you guys last year and look forward to hearing all the stories this time around.

Preperation for the season is in full swing. Got a few stands hung with one more to go I think. I had a new set of strings and cables put on my bow this summer and am slowly getting her dialed in. I bought some new arrows too, and had my old ones refletched. Went out yesterday for a little target practice and managed to Robin Hood one of my arrows. Its a feat that is cool to experience, yet tends to piss you off at the same time. What have you guys been up to? Are you pumped or what!? 24 days!!!
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

bobow

Re: Illinois Hunting Journal 2011

Postby bobow » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:51 pm

I am looking forward to opening but I'll bet a dollar to a doughnut it will 90+ degrees or something on that Saturday :o
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

frank8871

Postby frank8871 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:40 pm

yup that sounds about right

buckwild

Postby buckwild » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:21 pm

ya - starting to get pretty stoked. Im planning on trying to do more ground hunting this year. probably gunna make a few ground blinds. never done it. figure you can do some good scouting while moving around on the creep!
Semper Fidelis!

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:19 am

I grew tired of a few of my stands last year so I decided to try bow hunting from the ground for a change. I climbed inside a blow down that still had some leaves on it. I spent 2 afternoons in a row in there and I have to say they were the most exciting hunts I had all season. Had deer walk by at 10 yards without detecting me. Unfortunately, I didn't quite get into position for any shots. Let us know how it goes! Good Luck!
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:52 am

2 weeks from today you will find me up a tree somewhere!!!

Luke

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:47 pm

This yr. has been more hectic than most....2 stands up ...on ..one chunk of land...ridge top and a lower cross-over.......we'll see how they pan out later in the season....just came back from a friends house...shot our bows at.. 10 ..20... and all the way out to 40yds.... was in the kill zone...its nice to shoot with someone who normally shoots a lot better groups,..and more consistently....and shoot equally for a change...i was thrilled with my shot placement....

With a rotating shift i will have to fit in hunts when i can...im not normally in a rush opening day and honestly cant remember the last time i was out in my stand Oct-1st...each time is a blessing...each set is therapy for the soul...im optimistic,and ready....the corn is also coming out quick by one of my stand set-ups...at first i thought it was ''seed corn'' coming out,but a later drive left no question...there taking the corn down....I see deer daily ...more and more now in the morning and the evenings ...a few does each time and a buck sighting....the leaves are falling on the ''cottonwoods''' and some elm.....the cold and rain put my stomach in knots ....i dream of sitting in the pitch blackness....all quite and watching the sun slowly welcome the world to morning...deer or not i guarantee it will be a good set......that i guarantee-- :D ~

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:50 pm

Ok now it's killing me....[the wait til Oct. 1st]......seen the same buck 2 times in a bean field in close proximaity...to one of my stand set-ups...rack outside the shoulders...man it looked like he still had velvet,,but shouldnt....i didnt have binoculars and he was a good 60-70yds away...either way he's beautiful......corn coming out quick in a few spots...about 3big fields are out...by my other stand site..in a different county.....acorns were flying off a big oak...turned out be squirrels going bonkers...this yr might be a really really good October...guess i'l have to wait... :|

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:13 pm

Ya baby...guess who IS going to be hunting Oct 1st.....???-----and sunday as well--aint life sweet sometimes... :D

bobow

Postby bobow » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:49 pm

Good luck to those who have a chance to get out. I am going to try but the sign in the little area is not as great as years past.

And so much for my prediction of 90+ degrees :?
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Next

Return to Illinois