Field Notes Michigan

largemouth19

Re: Field Notes Michigan

Postby largemouth19 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:12 am

Went to finish up the last minute details of my wedding this weekend which luckily is where I hunt so I got to kill two birds with one stone. Every time I leave Michigan to go back to Chicago it gets harder and harder. I love north/central Michigan, and Michigan in general, so much.

Anyways, I had a chance to check out the old stands, put up a few cameras and scout out a few areas other areas. Unfortunately I want to check out an area way deep in my land and didn’t get the chance. Two things I noticed; first I hunt in a swampy area that gets REALLY wet. But this year even with all the rain my area was fairly dry, even the river was way low, and was extremely over grown. Second is that I did not see hardly any deer at all like I did in the middle of the summer. There was a lot of signs of deer but not like years past.

We have hunted the area pretty darn hard for two or three years and was wondering what everyone thinks about the deer getting wise to us? Most of the deer have been out of the same two spots every year and I am wondering if we are pushing it a little too much? Oh well, either way it’s fun just to be out there and I can’t wait for the season to start.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:10 pm

Went and checked up on my spot yesterday. Everything looks good, deer are still using the runways by my stand and I even have a scrape right next to it now. Just 23 days away! Hope everyones ready and shooting well.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:13 pm

A couple more week, I can't wait. I got a new spot for the bow opener down in southern Mi, my latter stand was put up a few weeks back. I just hope its there when I get there. I locked it to the tree with a cable lock, but heard there has been some stands stolen in the same area for the scrap metal.

I'm planning on bow hunting the first and last weekends in Oct. Then not getting back until Nov 13th, I like Charles rut prediction Nov 10th - the 20th. I hope I see as many deer as last year.

I hope you all have a good deer season.
The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind. "Fred Bear"

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:30 pm

Well I think it has happend again...I walk and walk and walk some more to get away from other hunters, but no matter how far I walk it seems someones always right behind me. I went to my area again today and tighten some loose bolts on my stand. I noticed that a big dead branch by a scrape had been moved. It was the only other sign that I notice other than an old ribben hanging (which I may have missed before.) I noticed a big rub right by my area, and that moved tree really has me worried that someone else who was lazy enough to wait till the last 18 days before season to do their stand stuff has moved into my area. I have some great bucks on the trail cams so I am a little worried. I hope it is nothing but who knows, I guess this is stateland for ya. I did jump a deer by the big rub though, I believe it was a doe. I didnt see any other human tracks on "my trail," but I did notice them on the main trail and they were fresh. I hope Im not gonna worry to much about this, as it happens just about every year. I wish Michigan would get their act together and lock of state lands. Where one would have to draw for a tag, and could only hunt one area. Also getting rid of every road on the property would be great as it would make everyone thats hunting their walk in...I'll give more details when I go back next week, I hate to go back in there again, but I need to know if this guy is using my area or not. That way I will know if it is worth hunting or not.I hope he isn't and I am the only one, but only time will tell.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:02 pm

Went out deer hunting this morning at my friend’s property for the early doe hunt. (Princes property) We were in the woods at 6:09 with just about a full moon to greet us! We jumped a bunch of deer walking to our stands. Just after 7 around 7:03 in fact I had a velvet 3pt come wondering by from the east. The wind was not in my favor so I was worried he was going to spook. Luckily he never did though. The 3pt was browsing around for about 15 mins before walking off to the south west. I did not see another deer the whole time after that which ended at 10. My buddy Matt didnt see a deer while on stand at all. It was a cool morning with the temp around 40 when we left the car. The wind was blowing mostly to the east. No does for us this morning, I have to work in the afternoon and my buddy is going to hunt another piece of land. We were both using guns for this special early doe season hunt. All in all it was a very good morning to be out!

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:36 am

Well I was hard at it again last night. I went to a different piece of property just north of the city. I arrived on stand around 5pm. I was hunting a section of woods right next to a large corn field. I was excited about this hunt to say the least. The wind was blowing to the north, and around 5:53 I had a lone deer walk across my shooting lane, but I couldn’t tell what it was. About 20 mins later at 6:14 I had a doe and two fawns come out at 110yrds. I was watching them when three other deer came behind me I had no clear shot so I went back to watching the deer in front of me. I thought about shooting the doe, but didn’t feel comfortable about it so I decided to pass on her. At 7:00 I had a doe come out to my left. I put the scope on her and shot her at 72 yards. She jumped right up in the air and fell down, she tried to push herself into the brush but couldn’t make it. All in all it was a great hunt, and I was excited to take part in this special early doe hunt. When I got home and weighted the deer, she weighed in at 88lbs.

justincasei812

Postby justincasei812 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:29 pm

Great job DeerCamp.

I actually like checking this section out. Like the journal you have going on. Wish I had the opportunities that you have to get out and enjoy. Hunting camp is a 7+ hour trip so that makes it a little difficult to do the scouting and all the fun/ work that goes into it.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:09 pm

Well the Day is almost here! Just wanted to say Good Luck to everyone who is hunting tomorrow, may your arrows fly straight and true; and may you all have Happy Blood Trails!

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:09 pm

Okay well here is my 3 day report for the 2011 Deer season. I had a hard time falling asleep on the 30th, I was just to excited. I was able to finally hit the hay and I woke up at 5am. After a quick shower and a short drive I was at my honey hole. I was greeted by another hunter while out there. Anyhow I got to my stand around 6:15am and I waited and waited for first light. Finally it arrived, but so did the gun fire. I forgot it was opening day of Duck season too!! Unfortunately I was hunting close to water and I didn’t see any deer opening morning. It was a very cold morning around the low 40’s. The wind was blowing south. I got out of my stand at 10 and headed for town. I met up with that other hunter again and he saw 7 deer. One button buck. I arrived back out at my spot at 3:30pm, and at 4:23 I saw my first deer. A little spike horn, he didn’t stick around too long before going back into the woods. At 4:57 I had a Doe, button buck and a tall spike come walking by at 8 yards. They came in from the west. I could have had an easy shot if I wanted, but I passed on him. While they were feeding in front of me I had a little 4pt come in. The spike in the 4pt had a little sparing match, before the 4pt chased off the doe. Then at 5:40 I had some does come walking out. I again had some more does come out at 6:31. I heard some noise from behind me and at 6:58 I had a real big 4pt come out. This was the biggest 4pt I have ever seen, he came right in but never gave me a good shot. He too only stuck around for a few moments before heading off. The night capped off with a lone doe walking by from the east. All in all I saw 13 deer total.

The next morning (Oct 2nd) I over slept and woke up around 8am with my alarm still going off. I guess I was super tired. Needless to say I didn’t make it out. I did make it to my stand at 3:07 and the wind was blowing to the north. I saw 4 does at 4:26pm that came from the south/east. Again at 5:36 I had some more does come in from the east. Then at 7:13 I heard some crashing behind me, I noticed the small 4pt from yesterday walking in, behind him was that big shooter 4pt and a small spike. I kept hearing something else and noticed movement. Another deer came in through the thicket in the north. I couldn’t tell what he was but the other deer had walked off so I put most of my focus on him, that’s when I noticed he was the 8pt I have on my camera. He stayed around for about 45 mins and was greeted by a lone doe who came in from the south. I never did get a shot but it sure did get me excited. I saw 11 deer on this trip.

I went out on Oct 3rd and saw 2 does on stand. I was in my stand at 6:15am. These two does stuck around feeding on leafs and acorns before heading back to the south right where they came in from. I didn’t see anything after that and I hunted till 10:30. I came back out and I was on stand at 2:06 it was fairly hot at about 69 degrees. I had two does, I believe the same ones that came in the morning come back out from the south, they were scared off by a squirrel and a chipmunk. They came in at 5:01. The wind picked up for a little bit but died down again, and at 7:29 I had a lone doe stop by for a brief moment from the south. All in all I think the warm weather kept the deer in their beds a little longer as I only saw two deer in the morning and three in the evening.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:58 pm

Well today started at 5:30am with my alarm clock screaming. I woke up and headed for the shower with only one thing on my mind… It was 6 years ago today that I had missed one of the biggest bucks of my life from my favorite stand. I couldn’t shake the memory and thought about it all morning long. I arrived to my stand at 6:23 and was greeted by a north/east wind. It was a rather cold morning but at 8:37 I was greeted by a spike. He stuck around till 8:58 before making a rub on his way out. He noticed me in my stand, I have been having a hard time with that this year. Im 20’ off the ground and have decent cover but for some reason these deer are picking me off. I hunted until 10:10. I was walking down the trail and I helped another hunter drag a doe out that he had shot this morning. I guess I will give these deer some more time to come in. I moved some branches on Sunday to allow for a better shot and since then the deer havent been coming in. I will give another shot on this stand come Friday morning. I plan to hunt my favorite spot tomorrow morning but I have to work at 10, so Ill have to get down around 9:30.

PreviousNext

Return to Michigan