Tree Climbing Spikes

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
dukeriley

RE: Tree Climbing Spikes

Postby dukeriley » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:31 pm

As I said and now you have heard it from someone who climbs trees for a living [Referance]dtsarborist...These things are not ment for climbing live trees. They leave the tree suseptable to disease.Would you go around the woods with a hatchet and just whack away indiscrimantely?Do the right thing.scout a little harder.set your hang on with climbing sticks.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:20 pm

I tried out the climbing spikes and suffice it to say it certainly is harder than it looks and I did not feel comfortable at all.  Tried several times, could not get a good bite in the trees I tried (different ones).  But the kicker was as was mentioned, the damage to the trees just left a pit in my stomach..I did not gt any higher than 5 foot off the ground and the base of the tree was tore up.  That sold me on the fact that these are just not for me.  But to be clear, its never been an issue of "doing the right thing", scouting more or prepping my stands more.  I scout plenty and in the past I've used my climber.  The issue for me was being able to get up a tree quickly, quietly, and safely.  I consider climbers pretty safe (compared to the alternatives), but not so quiet and or stealthy.  There have been many occasions where I've had to change my stand on the fly due to conditions, hence the reason for buyng the tree saddle and wanting to set screw in steps on several stand sights.  Setting the screw in steps proved difficult for me and I thought the climbing spikes would be a better alternative.  So looks like I'll be trading in the spikes for some rapid rails or climbing sticks.  Thanks for the feedback all.

extroverted

Postby extroverted » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:53 pm

No joke or worries!!!
I use ladder stands all the time, for one reason, lack of noise!!
For years I used the climbers, then one day thought I could just walk up and sit down after climbing the tree ladder.

When bow hunting you don't want the deer to know you are out there until the arrow is in side of them!!!

Proline

Postby Proline » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:48 am

I have sportclimbers and used them alot the first few years I started bow hunting.  Couple reasons I stopped. I found them to be a pain in the butt to put on it the dark, cumbersome to haul in/out, another thing to hang in tree when you get setup.  I always used the lineman belt when climbing and never had any issues however......it requires you unhook it to climb up in the stand and when coming out you have to do so without it until you get under the stand.  Extremeny dangerous. It does beat up a tree that you uses repeatedly.  I have thought about going back to it everytime one of my stands get stolen though!

kellory

Re: Tree Climbing Spikes

Postby kellory » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:08 pm

I know a few linemen, who hunt and while those spikes grip just fine in dead treated poles, they are not real reliable in green living barked wood. besides tearing up the tree, you risk injury to yourself. My cable type climber makes little noise, and is a lot safer, without killing the tree. From a property owner's view point, I would kick you off the property if you are hurting my trees.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

pwbsmokey

Re: Tree Climbing Spikes

Postby pwbsmokey » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:13 pm

Tree spikes damage trees. They should be only used on trees that are to be cut down.

Previous

Return to Tree Stands