Deer Meat Dog Treat Recipe???

Got good taste? Share it with our readers!
4khorn

Deer Meat Dog Treat Recipe???

Postby 4khorn » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:29 pm

I was just wondering if any of you dedicate a bit of your meat to making dog treats. Was thinking about using the dehydrator to make some jerky bites or something. Anybody have any dog treat recipes??
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

Everyday Hunter

Re: Deer Meat Dog Treat Recipe???

Postby Everyday Hunter » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:53 pm

I'd be interested in a dog treat recipe, too. I don't know if the preservatives and the seasonings we add to people jerky would be good for dogs.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:54 pm

I would not waste venison on a dog. The bones, and the trimmings only. There is never enough jerky to go around as it is. Beef bones from the butcher will make that dog as happy as he can get. However, soaking dog biskets in the drippins after it has been cooked, and what is not part of the meal, then letting them dry would most likely loose you some fingers if you are not fast enough!
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:24 pm

kellory wrote:I would not waste venison on a dog. The bones, and the trimmings only. There is never enough jerky to go around as it is. Beef bones from the butcher will make that dog as happy as he can get. However, soaking dog biskets in the drippins after it has been cooked, and what is not part of the meal, then letting them dry would most likely loose you some fingers if you are not fast enough!

I thought someone would probably say that. I guess it depends on how you feel about your dog. And, how big your dog is. And how much you give her. My dog is a miniature dachshund, and she wouldn't get much -- not more than an inch or two on special occasions.

I know when I'm making jerky, she is right at my feet hoping I drop a piece. But she'll never get much -- it takes too much time and energy to make. Maybe I'd put up one tray for her, and she'd get it over a period of months.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:31 pm

The dog will not care if it is the trimmings or the jerky, And the only way I would give the dog venison that I myself could eat, would be as a training tool, and a thank you for helping me track a dead or wounded deer. We have 4 dogs, and we foster. Even a mouthfull each is a meal for the family. NO, flat out , no. If the dog earns a reward for helping to recover a deer, then a unique treat would be appropriate, and a beef bone will thrill him to no end. Beef bone are unlimited, and the venison is not. The most I will give the dogs, is what would otherwise go to waste, or basted biskets. You do as you will.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Return to Recipes