Need some help!!

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
sfd546

Need some help!!

Postby sfd546 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:19 am

Looking for some advise here. I've been shooting all summer long. My sights are dead on!! Last week I started shooting broadheads. From the ground they basically shoot the same, right on the mark. From an elevated platform (my roof) i'm shooting about 5"low.(my field points were also hitting low). I focus on bending at the waist, keeping my arm straight etc. and still hit low. The 5" is consistant, so do I adjust my sights or compensate high. I've been shooting 15' high and 20 yards out.

Hoyt bow, Rip cord drop away rest, beeman ICS400 with 100g muzzy

kellory

Re: Need some help!!

Postby kellory » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:08 pm

.Do you have room in your sight to have one pin set for raised shooting? If you do, you might want to use it. Or just compensate for the difference. You said it was consistent, and you use your sights, so if you have room, pin it. I don't use sights, so I would just adjust my aim. Use whichever feels right to you. If you use a different pin, mark it well for quick reference.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:48 pm

iF MOST OR ALL of your-hunting is from a stand ,i say move the pins and dial her in to the roof shooting scenario......thus you should be shooting dead on but a bit high on the ground..and dead on from an elevated stand...i would rather have to think about aiming a little low while target shooting on the ground...rather than think at all while stand hunting....when your up in your stand you want to draw and release....just my 2cents...i would also only practice from the roof or a stand in a tree in the yard or a friends yard if possible---nothing against shooting on the ground,but repitition from an elevated area re-creates a more realistic scenario to a stand hunter..like you or myself--Good luck~

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:19 pm

What j5b said!! If 90% of your hunting is from a stand, then sight in for that.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:32 am

While I agree with the advice given, it still seems odd that you are that far off and low at that. If anything, you should be hitting a little high from elevation, not 5" low. Personally, I would be going into my local archery shop and getting the guys there to try and help me figure it out. If you have a decent shop with solid professionals near you, my advice would be to take your bow and go see them.
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:59 am

Have someone take a photo or vid of you shooting from your treestand, and then post it. We can be a lot more helpful that way.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:31 pm

pgchambers wrote:While I agree with the advice given, it still seems odd that you are that far off and low at that. If anything, you should be hitting a little high from elevation, not 5" low. Personally, I would be going into my local archery shop and getting the guys there to try and help me figure it out. If you have a decent shop with solid professionals near you, my advice would be to take your bow and go see them.

This is my thought too. If a bow is tuned and sighted in properly, you should shoot consistently whether from an elevated stand or flat on the ground.

Jimbo

sfd546

Postby sfd546 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:55 pm

Well, I went out today for some more practice. My first few shots were right on, then i noticed that when I reset my rest it felt like metal on metal and didnt operate real smooth. The next few shots were all REAL high (but consistant) I check my rest and its totally stopped working. I'm going in the morning to get a new ripcord. Hopefully that had something to do with shooting from elevation (???) and I can be ready for the opener!!

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:43 am

sfd546 wrote:Well, I went out today for some more practice. My first few shots were right on, then i noticed that when I reset my rest it felt like metal on metal and didnt operate real smooth. The next few shots were all REAL high (but consistant) I check my rest and its totally stopped working. I'm going in the morning to get a new ripcord. Hopefully that had something to do with shooting from elevation (???) and I can be ready for the opener!!

It's great that you caught it in time. There is no substitute for practice.
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

Return to Archery and Bowhunting