An awesome hunt...., ground pounding it!!

Share your tips and techniques on these great, but often times lost methods of hunting.
buckhuntr15

An awesome hunt...., ground pounding it!!

Postby buckhuntr15 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:56 pm

I've had tons of ground hunts: still hunting, stalking, and ground (pop-ups and natural) blinds. I've had success from the blinds. I've blown many a stalks and still hunts. But this one, on Sat. 24, 2011..., it all came together. I'd been hunting on a spot (public land), when a couple of shotgun hunters (squirrel) were doing their thing and closing the distance. I hung in there hoping they'd push something toward me. The only thing they were pushing was the pellets :roll: So I did the right thing and bolted out of that spot. I was about to call it quits, when i decided to "check out" a spot I'd never been to. I took my bow, kept my release and went for "a shot in the dark". No more than 5 minutes into my walk and I spotted movement. I hit the ground, crawled to where I believed the deer were, and slowly crept to get a better view. One doe spotted me, didn't spook, and walked into a thicket. The other doe had no clue I was there. I knocked an arrow, ranged her, got on my knees and shooting position, and zip! The muzzy hit the sweet spot.

Summary: After the hunt, I reflected on what was it that went right. It was windy (covered my sound), Wind was in my favor (scent control), sun was on my back (their face), took my time & didn't rush it, I went through my ritual before releasing the arrow (judgement, breathing, technique, aim, etc,, etc.). I hit the mark and IT FINALLY HAPPENED! It was short, but my own special hunt. Probably my own personal best - just because of how it happend. Oh, yeah, the meat has gone to 5 families. My wife, happy as can be!!!

Thanks Marc Anthony, Woods Walker, and others for sharing your knowledge for all the ground hunters - present and future! Next: Opening Oct. 1, 2011 - IL!!
"Fun, Family, Friends!" I you want to kill something, don't hunt - if you want to hunt, welcome to my world.
- "Don't Quit!" ("lxtagle" in Turkey & Turkey Hunting)

kellory

Re: An awesome hunt...., ground pounding it!!

Postby kellory » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:38 pm

Congrats! Well done! I haven't even been out for deer yet! keep us posted. Have questions? ask. :)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:43 am

It's like nothing else, ain't it? ;)

Good for you!!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

buckhuntr15

Postby buckhuntr15 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:53 am

kellory wrote:Congrats! Well done! I haven't even been out for deer yet! keep us posted. Have questions? ask. :)

Thanks, my hunting brothers (and sisters - i.e. msbadger, :) I will keep you posted. Oct. 1 will be my next deer camp on the great Public Lands of IL. Happy Hunting Season to all!
"Fun, Family, Friends!" I you want to kill something, don't hunt - if you want to hunt, welcome to my world.

buckhuntr15

Postby buckhuntr15 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:55 am

Woods Walker wrote:It's like nothing else, ain't it? ;)

Good for you!!!!

A rush, Woods Walker, a rush!!

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:14 pm

Be advised bucky........This method of hunting is HIGHLY addictive. Once you have a taste for it, NOTHING else can match it! :)
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Return to Ground Hunting, Still Hunting, and Stalking