Planting Trees

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
KFoster

Planting Trees

Postby KFoster » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:33 pm

Hey yall I'm looking to plant around 30 acres trees on my familys property. I know it aint much but, mostly I'm just looking for the experience and to learn something new. The area mostly consist of Tenaha and Briley soils, this land has been used for years for cattle and hay. I'm seeking wisdom from anyone that has planted any type of tree within these soil types for wildlife, an a small income, etc....
I'm willing and able to do a large share of the work, and try new techniques that will yield a positive outcome from the planting.
Have any of yall tried hybrid trees?

I have talked to people around this area and they all say stay with the hay field, and not plant trees. But I feel its time to add something worth while and watch the growth that will take place, not just for wildlife but everything inbetween.

Any advice is welcom.
Thanks

ranwin33

Re: Planting Trees

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:57 am

Tree choices should be determined on what your ultimate goal is; lumber, fruit, nuts, wildlife enhancement, etc. etc.

The one thing I know is that i you have a lot of deer you will need to protect those trees for a couple of years or they will end up getting eaten. We have had some success with tree tubes, but the best success has come from just wire caging them with enough cage the deer cannot reach over or through and get to the branches or trunks.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

rmontez

Postby rmontez » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:18 am

Exactly what ranwin33 said. I planted $5500.00 in bare root trees on my property 5 years ago and didnt protect them. The deer killed every tree except one and the wind took care of that one this year!!

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:36 pm

I too, am planting trees. Red and White oaks for me, as I want the accorns, and the lumber in later years. The best money crop I know of is Black walnut, it will also bring in the game, but is an anti-social tree. It's husks are so acidic, that nothing else will grow arround them. I am useing accorns picked up when someone posted "come and get 'em) I collected them for deer food, then decided to grow my own. Does anyone know how large they need to be, before planting, to survive the winter? I have chicken wire for the deer and squirrels. :?:
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:03 pm

Our PLC in MO. advised just get as many acorns as you can and start stepping them into the ground. The squirrels and other animals will get most of them but some will sprout. Given I have oaks packed so tight you cannot get through them where old logging trees were dropped and the acorns stayed on the ground, I would have to believe him.

If planting from seed I would suspect it is just a matter of numbers, not size or quality of the acorn.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:48 pm

I have roughly 50 in pots right now, about 18imches to 24inches high. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

bobow

Postby bobow » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:12 am

KFoster wrote:Hey yall I'm looking to plant around 30 acres trees on my familys property. I know it aint much but, mostly I'm just looking for the experience and to learn something new. The area mostly consist of Tenaha and Briley soils, this land has been used for years for cattle and hay. I'm seeking wisdom from anyone that has planted any type of tree within these soil types for wildlife, an a small income, etc....
I'm willing and able to do a large share of the work, and try new techniques that will yield a positive outcome from the planting.

I have talked to people around this area and they all say stay with the hay field, and not plant trees. But I feel its time to add something worth while and watch the growth that will take place, not just for wildlife but everything inbetween.

Any advice is welcom.
Thanks

I would suggest you check with your local conservation department for advice. They should be able to help with the types of trees that will work in your soil as long as you tell them what your goals are. My experience with them in my area is they are happy to help.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:50 am

KFoster wrote:Hey yall I'm looking to plant around 30 acres trees on my familys property. I know it aint much but, mostly I'm just looking for the experience and to learn something new. The area mostly consist of Tenaha and Briley soils, this land has been used for years for cattle and hay. I'm seeking wisdom from anyone that has planted any type of tree within these soil types for wildlife, an a small income, etc....

Any advice is welcom.
Thanks

Something else you might consider is to just let the land lay fallow and see what grows. Most fields will start to sprout trees if left alone for a couple of years. But as always, my recommendation is burn it first to open up the soil to sunlight.
Aldo Leopold

scotman

Postby scotman » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:29 am

It really depends on where you live to determine what types of trees to plant. For example Red Oaks are great for the Northern bowhunters because these trees drop their nuts in October. Apple Trees are another great source of food for northern deer herds and actually help the deer survive the harsh winters up north. So although soil type is an important consideration there are many other factors you have to account for before deciding which type of trees to plant.

I would buy the biggest tree you can afford, this will ensure that your investment will survive. Tree growth is another important factor. How soon do you want to see the results of your labor? I would suggest researching fast growing mast trees.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

milkie62

Postby milkie62 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:47 am

How do you plant acorns in pots ? How long before they germinate ? What is the initial growth rate ?

Next

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management