Good Luck!

kevjack6

Good Luck!

Postby kevjack6 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:33 am

Just wanted to say good luck to all the VT archery hunters out there. It's not supposed to be the best weather for opening day but oh well! Keep us posted about what you are seeing.

mhouck06

Re: Good Luck!

Postby mhouck06 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:55 pm

Good luck to the Vermont hunters. PA opens up tomorrow. 40 degrees, 70% chance of rain.. not the best, but ill take any day in the woods!

vt_archer

Postby vt_archer » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:29 pm

How did ya do?

Nada.. Saturday morning started out so foggy that deer could have been doing the River Dance 20 feet in front of me and I wouldn't have seen it... did a tour around the local WMA on Saturday morning/afternoon and not a thing..

Sunday seemed to be more of the same; it's a shame that the weather didn't know it was opening weekend.

Hopefully someone had more luck than myself. Keep it safe out there, and looking forward to good news.

kevjack6

Postby kevjack6 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:19 am

I woke up to pouring rain on Sat. a.m. and stayed in bed. It rained all day. Sat for an hour in the evening but it simply rained too hard to shoot anything...did see a spike and some does.

Sunday, raining again when I got up. At 3:00 p.m. it was still raining about as hard as it could and I made up my mind that I wasn't going. About 3:30, it stopped and the sky lightened a bit so I went for it. Got in my stand around 4:30 to a light rain (imagine that!) but it stopped shortly after that. 4 deer came out about 5:00 p.m about 80 yards away and slowly fed their way down to the apple trees I was sitting over. A nice doe gave me a shot at 18 yards and I let one fly...perfect hit. She went about 60 yards. I didn't weigh her but I guess she's between 110# and 120# clean. I took the hide off and quartered her up this morning before work and I'll cut her up this week. Looks like a tender one.

Good luck to you...I hope the weather straightens out! It looks like it's supposed to get warm this coming weekend.

TJR

Postby TJR » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:44 am

Heyo!

Nicely done Kevjack, way to bring home the bacon...er...venison!

I have been putting in time in a great patch of timber but have nothing to show for it yet. the warm temps have been tough the past few days, and the standing cornfields that border the property are probably keeping the deer pretty well tucked up. We've seen a few small bucks that have been just out of bow range, but I am convinced it is only a matter of time. so far i have logged nearly 30 hours on stand, and enjoyed (almost) every second of it. It is great to be back on the chase!

Lets hope this forum livens up again with the colder temperatures and rifle season approaching, a mere 4 weeks from now. Anyone have any big trips/plans/goals for this year?

Aim Small Miss Small -

TJR

Return to Vermont