Shanty hunting

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
bckklr

RE: Shanty hunting

Postby bckklr » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:12 am

yeah i got one kind of its called the love shack equiped with sign & all including a mattress,table & chairs it hasnt been used for anything but hunting for the last 10 years that i know of we used to have some major parties @ that place back in high school now we use it as a shanty its over looking a 3 acre food plot its about 10 x 15 with 2 windows & door on the front side nothin on the back but that doesnt matter cuz the back side is a 14 year old cut over thats super thick we have taken 1 good buck out of it in the last 5 years 123" but we only use it when we dont have time to climb a tree oh yeah it also has a front porch i mean you could use it as a huntin cabin if you wanted to but we would have to put some glass in the windows
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

passin through

Postby passin through » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:21 am

Check out the North American Whitetail August issue...  article title is"A stand For Chris"  Awesome story--- Father loses his handicapped son in an auto accident and pretty much gives up hunting after that....He has a dream telling him to build a stand where his son had planned on building a house --- And this stand is a mondo large establishment!  Stairs,porch with all his sons deer racks,  up on telephone poles from the look of it  --- He then hunts the stand with his sons rifle with one bullet---and takes a 160 class buck.  He said he felt like that was his sons deer since Chris never got to kill a real good one and he was hunting for him.  The Dad also said he still doesn't know if he'll ever hunt again but after that kind of story I hope he does.....

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:46 am

Hey Sailfish - That is an amazing picture of a tree rat.

Our treestand may be considered shantys. The northern snow belt of WI requires a little more protection. We have walls and a roof, but no glass windows. They tend to get in the way. Sometimes you only have 4-5 seconds for the big boy walking through on a hot trail. That is definitely not enough time to be messing around with the getting a window open.

Heaters: We use them all the time, just make sure that it doesn't go screaming or howling at that wrong time. I've changed to one of the little bottle heaters. It slides under my chair and keeps the core nice and toasty. I haven't had any problems with it.

Ultimate Shanty: I knew someone in college that lived in the UP and would bow hunt during the Packer Game from a Lazy-Boy. He had apple trees in his back yard. When the deer came in, he would walk up stairs to his bathroom, open the window, tag out, and then go finish watching the Packer Game.  Talk about having your cake and eating it too...

From those who much is given, much is expected

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:02 am

Shaman - Nice Shanty. My condolences on the curtains. We battle the porcupines every year. They strip and the plywood and eventually there is nothing left. We fixed it by covering all of the plywood with a thick 60MIL plastic.

Just be careful when you first crawl in. My brother poked his head in and was face to face with a sleeping raccoon at 12", and I have had to encourage a porcupine to leave. A folding chair works great for encouragement. (Note to self: Replace the now broken chair and bring 9 iron...)

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:35 pm

@#$%#** porcupines.we shoot em on site.those guys eat everything,they are horrible,always double check your "permanent "tree stands if you got those guys around
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:03 pm

ORIGINAL: Legnip
Hey Sailfish - That is an amazing picture of a tree rat.

It's so hot down here they manage to keep their abs pretty much year round [:D]

ORIGINAL: Legnip
Ultimate Shanty:

I saw a shanty that was made from a large, plastic pickle barrel. I mean LARGE. The guy had a TV, big swivel lazy chair, heater, and pretty much 360 degree shooting window. All made from plexiglass. Nice set-up.....if your into that comfort thing  

"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:08 am

The plastic cover works great. The porcupines teeth can't get a grip on it and they chew on something else. We took out 4 porcupines [:D] in one year from our camp outhouse. We eventually had to tear the outhouse down and replace it, but I used aluminum sheeting for the walls this time.

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:52 pm

My brother-in-law built one that is on an old hay wagon elevated about 8 feet above the bed. He pulls it out to the spot where he wants to hunt  about a month before season and does great hunting in it. When season is over he pulls it back behind the barn.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:37 pm

Oh yeah...shanty hunting. I never hunted shanties before, but my wife and I did do quite a bit of house hunting before we found the place we are in now!

If they are in subdivisions, would that be considered "fair chase"?

And would the presence of sidewalks, curbs, and city sewers and water be considered "baiting"?  [:D]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Previous

Return to General Discussions