2011 PA Season

mhouck06

Re: 2011 PA Season

Postby mhouck06 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:19 am

weather forcast for the johnstown area... 40 degrees with 40% chance of rain/snow for the oct 1 archery season opener!! cant wait!

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:26 pm

It's gotten worse since then. Rain is almost a certainty.
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:03 pm

Well the first day for me was a bust, entered the stand 30 mins early to north nw winds upwards of 20+ mph, rain and tons of it..I only hunted a few hours and did not see a thing...on a positive note my old man was out and saw the first three shooters of the year (was unable to get a shot too far) along with a group of three doe he chose to pass bc of tracking conditions...I was unable to hint the evening due to prior work commitments and a hockey game with the fiancee.. (it was a perfect evening too, wind stopped from 4-630, the front cleared up and the temps remained cool..) my brother went out in the evening and saw 4 doe at about 4pm and that was all..it was one of those days that rain was predicted all day and they were wrong, needless to say I was a bit unhappy! Another front is called to be coming in tomorrow all day, so hopefully Monday evening will be a better sit.... good luck to everyone this season!

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:09 pm

I didn't see anything except turkies.
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:32 pm

A bad day hunting, is better than a good day at work. I spent the entire day handing out books, blankets, and bookbags to the homeless for the annual Good neighbors Picknick. And the weather didn't help. But atleast, there is satisfaction in knowing we helped a lot of people. I haven't been out for deer yet, but I will get there as soon as I can. Good luck to all.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:16 pm

it rained alll day for us.. did not let up. hunted the morning. had a six point come through at about 7 am. went out for the evening, even worse weather than the morning. saw nothing. Talking to other people around the area, they had the same results.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:38 pm

I might suggest a blind for days like that. Would that be feasible for that location? Might make it a more plesant hunt.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:13 pm

Kelorry I was going to set my blind up but got to busy before season...I am gonna put it up tomorrow hide it let the deer get use to it and in a week or two hunt it...last year, mature buck coming right to me had the bow in hand at the time so no movement scent blowing away from him he looks directly at it and turns and walks away... that's why I didn't set up opening day in my blind..its an apple orchard so they are always feeding through but I didn't want to risk it! As soon as I get a day to hide it, I will be hinting it on rainy days! Not enough time in a day!

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:34 pm

I will prep the space where the blind will go ahead of time( clear sticks, trim brush, shooting lanes ect., but I carry the blind in with me to hunt it that day, or the next day. I don't give them time to notice it if I can. Mine will set up in the dark in a couple of minutes, but there are several that can be set in less. very little noise. works for me.

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:13 pm

I forget the name of my blind who makes it, but I set her up today before a stand sit.. its a POP up blind then folds back down when your done. Makes for a comfy sit..

PreviousNext

Return to Pennsylvania