Dr. Deer is Wisconsin's deer trustee

Meules37

Dr. Deer is Wisconsin's deer trustee

Postby Meules37 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:25 am

From jsonline.com

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/130983078.html

The Department of Administration has retained James Kroll of Nacogdoches, Texas as Wisconsin's white-tailed deer trustee.

Gov. Scott Walker created the trustee postion Sept. 23 in an executive order.

Kroll, a professor at Stephen F. Austin State University, has cultivated the moniker "Dr. Deer" from his work as a deer management consultant, appearances on hunting shows and as author of articles in hunting magazines.

He is charged with an "independent, objective, and scientifically-based review of Wisconsin’s deer management practices." A preliminary report is due no later than March 1.

Kroll was not available for interviews Monday morning. The DOA press release referred to Kroll as the "world’s foremost expert in modern deer herd management."

"Wiscosin is well known for its proud deer hunting tradition," Kroll said in the press release. "I have over 30 years of experience in deer herd management. That, combined with the expertise of staff at the Wisconsin DNR, will provide a solid foundation for a scientifically-based review of Wisconsin's deer management practices. In the end, this work will help Wisconsin's deer hunting tradition to thrive for generations to come."

The white-tailed deer trustee contract is for $125,000, according to the DOA. The funds will be paid by the Department of Natural Resources

deojee1414

Re: Dr. Deer is Wisconsin's deer trustee

Postby deojee1414 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:39 pm

Well at least he's not one of Walker's cronies. I'm interested to see his recommendations.

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:46 pm

I've heard only good things about him, although I have one concern. Given his activity with different magazine and television hunting outifts, I would like to know if he has many "sponsors" that fund his hunting activities these days. I'll assume he does not, but if he does, I think it should be disclosed since said sponshorships could introduce conflicts of interest in some of his findings and recommendations.
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

Tim50

Postby Tim50 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:13 pm

I have heard good things of him also. Check out this link!! ;)

http://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/2 ... ur-future/

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:27 pm

I think he was a good choice. I look forward to his report.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:15 pm

There are very few that would be a better choice. I'm awaiting his findings also.

Return to Wisconsin