Finally...success with the Recurve!

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
featherflinger

Finally...success with the Recurve!

Postby featherflinger » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:31 pm

This year I decided that I would hunt with my recurve only until I finally harvested one. It didn't take long! saturday was the opening day of archery season here in oklahoma, and by dark I had one in the cooler. I have hunted many years with the compound bow and guns, but taking a step back to the recurve really added a bit of excitement back into the game.

Deebz

Re: Finally...success with the Recurve!

Postby Deebz » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:37 pm

Nice doe!! I've been thinking about getting either a longbow or recurve just to shoot. I don't know if I'd want to hunt with one exclusively though... I really like being able to shoot out to 40 yards and know I've still got killing power even beyond that. However, I also see the allure of upping the ante by limiting your range.

What kind of recurve do you have?
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

featherflinger

Postby featherflinger » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:45 pm

Thanks! It is an old shakesphere fiberglass bow. It has a 50lb. draw wt. I am using a new set of arrows this year as I never could get the cedar or dogwood shafts to group very well or fly straight. I got some Carbon Express Piledriver arrows in the 10.4 gpi variety. Topped off by muzzy phantom 125 gr. broadheads. It surprised me to get a pass through shot with this setup at 25 yards. The phantoms made a nice hole too...easy to follow blood trail from the point of impact.

bobow

Postby bobow » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:20 pm

Nice job! I hope you have continued success.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:28 pm

Nice Doe. Did you take her from the ground or an elevated position??
"This is the world we are born into -- we should never let that slip away from us. May it never cease to stimulate, inspire and humble us." from Stalking & Still-Hunting: The Ground Hunter's Bible by G. Fred Asbell

featherflinger

Postby featherflinger » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:40 pm

I was in a tree stand. i gave up getting one from the ground at least for now. I've tried the last two years to get one with the recurve from the ground with no success. i have had some opportunities, but it is hard to get drawn even with good cover. Maybe I will try it again in the later part of the season since my recurve cherry has finally been popped. :lol:

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:37 pm

Congrats! I hunted 3 years before my first deer kill. Mine happened to be with a recurve, It's simple, but not easy, so be proud of it, you earned it. :)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Joel Spring

Postby Joel Spring » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:33 am

What a great accomplishment! Congrats, great shooting.

Joel
Joel Spring
Longtime Deer & Deer Hunting Contributor
ruabirddog@aol.com

featherflinger

Postby featherflinger » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:50 pm

Thanks! Now that I have some confidence built up maybe it is time to hunt the honeyhole...

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:16 am

Great Congrats...my first bow kill was with a 45# recurve...great memories....Hope for continued luck for you
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

Return to Photo Corner