2011 PA Season

kellory

Re: 2011 PA Season

Postby kellory » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:07 pm

My full blind is a reversable Ameristep Doghouse (different camo inside and out.) full floor, shoot through mesh attaches with velcro, room for two easy or one with all the comfort of home. pop-up tiedowns and stakes if there is need. Highly recommend it. :)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:44 am

One of my buddies killed a 6 point last night, so far thats the only person I have heard of that has had a chance at or taken anything for the 2011 PA season. Anyone else make it out? Im planning on getting out wed, thurs and fri. Weather is looking like it will be pretty decent. Can't wait to get back out in the woods!

tex3012

Postby tex3012 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:25 am

i have noticed that this weather completly changed deer movement in my area.. i hunt a wood lot next to standing corn and i just havnt been seeing deer coming and going into the corn. i believe the weather has deer more consitrated to there corn feeding areas and not leaving these areas just the used to throughout late summer.. i have taken my doe, but that was in the early doe season for 5c.. ill be heading out this evening, to hopefully figure out the movements..

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:05 pm

I sat on my plot yesterday the 3rd in the evening, entered the stand at 3:30 to a swirling wind (hate hunting the swirls, normally not like this but its just off a small ravine/creek) heard deer behind me at about 4:50 no could not see them for the life of me..at 5:50 I had a deer come from the west, at this point I had a steady north east wind more easterly..once again I could not see it, but it crossed the creek not even 50 yards away just out of sight...at about 620 the sky turned black with a few drops of rain.. a mature doe appeared at the far west end of my plot 17 yards away, decided to pass due to the threatning rain...it started raining about 630 and I caught one sneak past behind me it was an Idk deer! I gave it till dark with off and on rain with no more deer to stop by.... The stand I was hunting I usually wait till rut to hunt as you can tell its thick and I can't see anymore than 20-40 yards until the leaves fall off..

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:14 pm

I was able to set up my blind in a heavy traffic area apple orchard, covered it in a thick bush and surrounded it with trees I have a fresh scrape and a few new rubs...giving the property a few day rest and will head out Friday and saturday... I have tons of school work plus/work this week (10 more days till I graduate with my second degree) ..we just completed an install at work so its been non-stop work everydat..

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:19 pm

my dad was out this evening, hunted the stand I hunted on the first day. Had 3 doe come thru at 5:00 pm, button buck at 6:30 and two seperate does right before dark. all six of them came right under the stand, he finally believes me that Stonycreek Whitetails odor nuker cant be beat. He also did not mind the little mock scrape I created with their buck pee that now has turned into a huge scrape with 3 rubs right near by. pretty good night. Going to give that stand a few days rest, heading out tomorrow night to a stand I have not hunted yet this season. Weather is finally looking to be better, so hopefully we get some more movement!

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:25 am

Went out this morning hit the stand 45 mins before light, it was 45 degrees with very little wind at all id call it a soft ne wind..just as it was getting light I started to see deer, they didn't stop coming in until 830.. saw a total of 11 doe no bucks, they continue to crush the apples, scrapes and rubs are showing up everywhere now I've got one scrape the size of a car hood, hopefully he shows up soon or later.. probably will let the woods settle until the next front moves in, I have the itch to hunt it, but don't want to mess it up before the bucks move! I still have not checked the cameras but hopefully the buck I'm looking for stopped by for a picture! Will have to wait and see!

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:49 am

hunted wed night, thursday morning and both am and pm friday. not too much activity. Had a four point come through last night. Stuck around for a while. Scrapes and rubs are showing up.. all of my mock scrapes are getting hit pretty good now. I go on my seven day break starting wednesday. I plan on hunting almost every day of it.. Saturday is the duck opener so that will probably be the only day i wont be in my stand.. ill be on the edge of a pond.. Actions been picking up around where I hunt, three bucks have been dropped so far. The weather was great over the past couple days compared to what it was. Hope that trend keeps going. These 40 degree mornings have been somethin else!

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:52 pm

Late last week two guys I hunt with dropped a 7 point and a 9 point.. both am harvests. Im hoping to get in the woods tomorrow morning, but bad weather looks like its going to be rolling in. I guess if that happens i will just drive to cabelas and get my new waders for duck season on saturday! Any other PA hunters been having any success?

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:23 pm

Went out yesterday Monday the 10th, entered the blind shortly after 3pm with absolutely no wind and seasonably hot temps..by 530 the wind kicked up the slightest bit out of the east (unfavorable direction for this set up) had 5 turkeys roost right above me at 610 and at 620 had my first deer of the night coming up behind me at about 625 my dad got down from his stand eventually spooking the turkey and kicking the deer back down (and they wonder why everything goes nocturnal)...fronts moving in tomorrow night, but its hockey night with the lady so I will miss that hunt...I will let you guys kbow how Thursday Fri and sat work out, I will be hunting 3 different areas I kept scent free so hopes are high! Leaves are falling it tends to hold them back around here so we will see!

PreviousNext

Return to Pennsylvania