assisted living poacher

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
kellory

Re: assisted living poacher

Postby kellory » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:25 pm

msbadger wrote:[quote]ECOs found a scoped rifle and box of ammunition next to the window in his room where apparently he would sit and shoot at wildlife that ventured onto the property. The firearm and the eagle carcass were seized, and the man was ticketed for illegally taking a protected bird, for which he paid a heavy fine.[b] Additionally, the man's other firearms were locked in the facility owner's gun safe, available only for legitimate hunting activities.[/b]

We both have strong thoughts on this but I need to remind you ....no in this day and age.... kids do not have until 18 before their toes are held to the fire ...many 16yr olds and more than a few 14 have been triad as adults in this country...also perhaps the ones in charge of the legal system concerning this should be held accountable for if I were to assume... as you... his possible mental deterioration and knowing the obvious lack of common sense and deceitful ways of the care giver...how could they find it reasonable to allow her to keep his guns under lock and key...FOR FUTURE LEGITIMATE HUNTING?....I was wrong it's more a "keystone " cops thing[/quote]
I read the article several times now ma'am, and at no time is there mention of any other wildlife being harmed. There is only a guess.(did they even count the remaining bullets?) And how old is the ammo? As to young children 14-16 being held accountable for thier actions as an adult requires something far and above the norm. Manslaughter, armed robbery, multiple voilations without change of behavior, incorargable. That most often happens when a human being dies. or at least nearly dies. As to the guns. I would like to say he should have lost them all, plus the privledge of ever hunting again, But I would be tresspassing on his right to bare arms. He lost the rifle with which he commited a crime, that is as it should be, But hunting is a privledge and a resposibility. If he can't handle the resposbility, he should not be allowed to hunt. Here in Ohio, I believe hunting is a privledge to be lost if you break the rules, a right (like the right to bare arms) is harder to diminish and requires more proof. Like proof of a felony conviction. He has a RIGHT to his guns, unless the courts deside against him (convicts can not own guns) But that has to be a decision of the courts. Do you really want the courts involved with the taking away rights involving guns? (or bows, they too are arms) That could be a very slippery slope. Remember, evry case is laid on the bone of another, and every case effects all the cases that follow. It is easy to jump on board and punish the guy, but when the courts are involved, it effects us all.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:25 am

Like I said strong opinions so I'll Just keep mine and for sure your entitled to your

Now for future referance...I'm no ones Mam...and not you but on a different forum I was referred to as girlfriend...and for some reason Gal...for the record I'm badger or as WW says badgie ;) ...I don't refer to the guys as boyfriend ...SIR...or Boy...so lets refrain from the for mentioned above please
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:14 am

What in wild wild world of sports is going on when an Assisted living facility allows guns on premises as well as in the hands of a mentally unstable man? Or is he not unstable? Or is he, wait, he is? Or he isn't?

I personally would remove my family member from that place ASAP.
If he is mentally fit, then the dude is one missing order of peas and carrots on his dinner tray from wacking an orderly, because the man clearly has no control mechanism. If he is truly nuts.....oh my.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:19 am

The only way to get to the bottom of this is to Waterboard the caregiver....than give the ol geezer a plastic cap gun..... :mrgreen:

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:58 pm

msbadger wrote:Like I said strong opinions so I'll Just keep mine and for sure your entitled to your

Now for future referance...I'm no ones Mam...and not you but on a different forum I was referred to as girlfriend...and for some reason Gal...for the record I'm badger or as WW says badgie ;) ...I don't refer to the guys as boyfriend ...SIR...or Boy...so lets refrain from the for mentioned above please

Yes Ma'am, I'll be good. :)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:46 am

I'm tending to agree with Badgie on this one. I think the punishment was very minimal. I mean, the dude shot an EAGLE, from his WINDOW. If he was an old farmer, then I understand the animosity he may towards birds of prey, (loss of chickens and whatnot back in the day) but I don't believe that he has any acceptable excuse for this action.

The other thing people kept bringing up is that he is in an assisted living facility. From my understanding, assisted living is not like a "group home" or "nursing home" the way most people think of it. Assisted living units are usually more like apartment complexes. They are designed for the people who are unable to maintain and keep up their own personal house as far as repairs and yardwork and heavy cleaning etc... However, these people do have the ability to cook, bathe, shop, and many can even still drive around. I only mention this fact because the "caretaker" or "director" of the facility most likely has a lot less control and input over the residents than you may think. I don't see how they could be held responsible for someone else's actions. I mean, they lied about shooting the eagle, so that at least shows they maybe had an idea about what was going on and maybe could have prevented it, but I don't think they are liable for someone else's actions...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:40 pm

I always thought it was a federal offence to kill an eagle. You cannot even have eagle feathers in your possession. You could be in big trouble just having feathers.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:22 pm

charlie 01 wrote:I always thought it was a federal offence to kill an eagle. You cannot even have eagle feathers in your possession. You could be in big trouble just having feathers.

Thats why I was saying its all messed up. If he was nuts or mentally unstable..........sure ok. But leave him his other guns for future use??

And if he wasn't nuts and as the one poster mentioned he has a right to bear arms, then he should have been subjected to the full monty as far as civil and criminal fines.

Wierd.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:35 pm

"assisted living" can mean anything from drooling and bed ridden, to letting someone else do all the yard and house work. and anything inbetween. You are correct that if he is if full possesion of himself and knows right from wrong, understands the charge against him and all that, then he should pay the full price that the court imposes, not the mob. If He is under someone else's care though, That changes with the level of his care. If he is under the control of a "caretaker" He could be mentally unstable, an idiot(simple) in which case he may not understand right from wrong) or he could just have a bad back and needs help to get around town, and keep track of his meds. He could very well be in the complete legal control of the caretaker like a parent for a miror child. In that case, the caretaker is liable, not the "child" If a kid breaks your window, playing ball or throwing rocks, it is the parent you can go after for damages, not the kid. He is a minor and not resposible. We do not know his level of inpairment, or the legal standing of the caretaker. So we can not know how liable he is. The guns though....A crowbar is not a burgaler tool until it is used in a crime, it is just a tool. I use lockpicks as part of my job, they are not burgaler tools unless I use them in a crime. Same with a gun, it is a tool. And a tool protected by law. He lost the gun he used in a crime, the rest are not removed, because they are not connected to a crime. Where this crime occured, is hunting concidered a privalege, or a right? Big legal difference. I would have revoked his hunting privalege for life, what is left of it. It takes some major justifacation to revoke a RIGHT. This is why I believe it would be wrong to make hunting a RIGHT, It makes it that much harder to revoke when it is abused. Remember? That is why we have a Bill of Rights in the first place? To PREVENT goverment from going too far? I don't like what he did, but, no matter what they do, the bird will still be dead. :(

Previous

Return to Breaking News