Illinois Hunting Journal 2011

4khorn

Re: Illinois Hunting Journal 2011

Postby 4khorn » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:44 pm

Made it out yesterday for an evening hunt on an oak and hickory ridge. Nuts were falling all around but I think a majority were hickory. I bumped a doe and 2 fawns that were bedded near my stand as I walked in. One of the fawns came back on couple of occasions. Around 6 o'clock I caught the flick of an ear, then a flash of an antler. He was behind some brush so I couldn't get a very good look right away. Finally I got a good look and realized he was a decent 8 point, probably around 115 to 120 class. He eventually fed his was away from me and I was kind of glad he did because he sure would have been tempting. My goal is to get my first P&Y this year and he just wouldn't have gotten there. All in all it was a fun hunt. With the weather warming up I will probably wait until it cools back down before heading out again.
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:59 pm

Well i didn't have super high ,hopes getting out the first opener....I spent a 3day camping hunting trip..One of my best friends and i ,gave it a shot and came up with nothing....very little deer movement...and sparse crops that came out....it was quite an adventure...my pickup with the fiberglass camper shell served as my shelter and my small toyota pickup[ shortbed] was a tight fit...my feet touched the tailgate and one inch of headroom.My buddy opted for his tent and a coleman heater that had his tent in the mid 80~...

I hunted Sat. morn by myself and had a large doe w/ fawn come in before legal shooting..im assuming it was doe ,it was pitch black and they both came in together and when it was just light enough :i blew a doe grunt and the doe turned back around and circled in thick cover...i lost sight of her and she crept out un-noticed...Than i met my buddy at the camp sight a good 45minutes from my morning hunting spot....he hunted a field edge ,and i walked the half mile across 2 fields to a bottle neck...creek at my back...lake to the front....the first evening i had something big behind me..right where i was hoping no deer would come...my scent was blowing to the creek...than 4 raccoons decided a brawl was in order...and ganged up on one of them...screaming and fighting in the creek, than the shore...than back in the creek....whatever the deer was /blew air at the raccoon boondoggle...and a medium grunt in that direction got its attention but the cover was immense back there...i only heard what sounded like a heavy bodied buck...clopping loudly on the moist ground...now on high alert and edgy...downwind of me...it never emerged...i sneaked out and walked at a snails pace back to the truck.

I hunted this spot the following evening and more raccoons splashing in the creek ...fighting....than a screech owl perched 20yds away..and let out a loud screech...than 2 different owls made such a racket ohhing and caring on that i couldnt hear anything else...they were a mere 20ft to my right...i believe it was a mating ritual..loud and obnoxious....no deer and i opted to leave that spot till more crops come out and the leaves start falling...this spot was a gamble on a big buck core area and is the only tree i could reasonably set-up on....it has great potential..so i hunted another area..and yes more raccoons...what gives????......still staying optomistic and wasnt expecting too much this early...congrats to everyone who already has one down....plenty of season left--JON~

bobow

14 yr old attacked - Pike Co

Postby bobow » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:15 am

http://www.myjournalcourier.com/news/pike-35612-lion-hunter.html

October 04, 2011 5:35 AM
GREG OLSON

A 14-year-old Pike County deer hunter told authorities he was attacked by a mountain lion this weekend, using a pocketknife to fend off the attack.

The boy was taken by his father to Illini Community Hospital in Pittsfield, where he was treated, according to Illinois Department of Natural Resources spokesman Chris McCloud.

Jeremiah Dice was bow-hunting on his family’s property when he says a mountain lion crossed his path, according to a KHQA-TV story.

He told the television station that the mountain lion attacked him three times before he was able to injure it with a knife from his pocket. Dice was able to escape and run home with minor injuries thanks to his jacket and hat that protected him from most of the lion’s blows.

“As he landed on me, my head hit the ground and I grabbed him by the throat,” Dice told the Hannibal, Mo., station. “His mouth was open. He was trying to bite me. He used his paw to tear at my jacket and the other at my face.”

McCloud said he was not aware of any other mountain lion reports in Pike County.

Conservation police are investigating the attack.
Mountain lions — also called cougars, panthers, pumas, catamounts and other names — were hunted into extinction in most Eastern and Midwestern states during the 1800s and early 1900s.

The animal's only known habitat since about 1900 has been Western states and southwest Florida, where 50 to 100 panthers survive, according to a 2004 USA Today story.

But the mountain lion is moving east again, expanding its territory for the first time in a century. More than two dozen mountain lions were killed or photographed outside the animal's normal range between 2000 and 2004.

In Illinois, a train killed a male cougar on July 15, 2000, in Randolph County south of St. Louis. It was the state’s first documented wild cougar in more than 135 years and the only confirmed mountain lion east of the Mississippi River, excluding Florida panthers.

The cougar population appears to be growing in the West, and young males are seeking new territory, David Maehr, an authority on mountain lions at the University of Kentucky, said in 2004.

Mountain lions are thriving because deer and elk — the cougar's main prey — have grown in numbers while competing predators — wolves and bears — are struggling. Wildlife management and residential development in Western states have played an important role in creating this cougar-friendly environment.

But, as Westerners know, humans and mountain lions have an uneasy relationship. Mountain lions sometimes wander into residential neighborhoods in California, Colorado and other Western states. They can kill pets, livestock and humans.

The Mountain Lion Foundation says 18 people have been killed by cougars in the past 100 years.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:52 pm

I read this article in Illinois Outdoor News...seems very credable....wouldn't suprise me in that area either...a few yrs ago we had a black bear sighting several times in the local paper...everyone thought it was a hoax...till a guy seen it bedded by the road side. and took pictures....than eventually Dnr got involved and started talking to reputable people in the area who also seen it with nothing to gain by telling the story..they all seen it in the same area...i hunt less than a half mile from there....they eventually caught the Bear....it was a black bear that someone had supposedly let go in the wild....they did a Dna sample and can somehow tell from that...

Might not have been an actual wild black bear...but still a black bear nonetheless.....cougar doesnt suprise me or a wolf for my area....when i see dinosaurs thats when i hang up bow hunting... :lol: ....arrows might make a nice toothpick for T-rex- :roll:

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:00 pm

I saw a video of the alleged cougar attack. Something doesn't seem quite right to me. They showed DEEP claw marks on the bill of the boy's cap, but nowhere else. He was also supposed to have been clawed in the face, but you can barely see any marks. If the cat did to his fleash what it was supposed to have done to his cap, then he'd be wearing stitches. Seems to me that if a grown cougar jumped a 14 year old boy that he'd do more damage than that. The DNR is doing some DNA testing of the blood on the boy's knife, so we'll see.

http://www.wgem.com/story/15603927/dnr- ... in-pike-co
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:06 pm

Hand to hand struggle like that should have left some hair behind. You believe he staged it, don't you? :|
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:14 pm

Either that, or he ate some funny mushrooms! :o
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:44 pm

What do you want to bet, there is a girl he want to impress? Big kid for 14, but still a kid.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:57 pm

I think his father is trying to scam a deal!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:23 pm

I think the father just wants to believe his son. I have a neighbor kid, very likeable, smart, friendly, steals and wrecks a pick-up on two wheels (no licience) The truck is his Grandfather's, who can't put his own family in jail, same kid 12 months later, AFTER he has his life back on track, tries to carry a shotgun and ammo on a city bus wrapped in a blanket and tells the bus driver, it's a hockey stick! (how stupid can he be?) Now it comes out on vidio he had a hand in an armed robbery of a store clerk! And you still want to like this kid! I took this kid through the hunter safety course side by side with my son! He has so much potential and he has thrown it all away. I know I can't believe in him any more, but I want to. :(

PreviousNext

Return to Illinois